Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Pool All Summer!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Pool All Summer!!!

I have had an above ground salt water pool for 9 years now. It is 27 x 54. Never had any problems whatsoever with it. Two years ago I bought a new 1.5 hp pump. This year I bought a PRC 120 cartridge filter system. Since we have installed the new filter system we have not been able to get our pool clear!! We have done everything and spent a fortune this summer trying to get it not to be green!!! We have shocked it repeatedly, we have poured gallons of Clorox in it, we have kept chlorine tablets in it, and we have run our barracuda suction cleaning system for all day at times. What else can we do?!?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Green Pool All Summer!!!

Welcome to TFP!

As you have found out, shocking the pool or just pouring in bleach won't work. You need a measured addition of liquid chlorine up to shock level and you need to hold it there until testing shows everything in the water is dead. We call this process a SLAM.

Read and follow the instructions and the green should go away. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Shallotte, NC

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW PA

Inconsistantly adding n dumping gets you no where. It's not the filter. Its an algae bloom you have not completely killed from the time it initially bloomed.

You're going to need a good test kit. You can not continue to guesstimate this or you'll continue to have a green pool. Read the SLAM in my link, along with the test kit comparison. You're pool green because it has no chlorine.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

Yes, get one of the recommended test kits, post test results and start the SLAM process.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40