Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dedicated vacuum line versus vacuuming from skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Dedicated vacuum line versus vacuuming from skimmer?

Do many pools have a dedicated vacuum line or does everyone usually plug their vacuum equipment up to the skimmer?

i have a dedicated vac line but would like to convert it to a return line. I don't know if it's worth it to look into changing it or not?
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dedicated vacuum line versus vacuuming from skimmer?

Much better to have a dedicated line IMO. Allows you to maintain some skimming at the same time. And usually the ports are more central in the pool.

Why do you think you need another return line?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I only have one return in a rectangular pool. I have a lot of dead spots and things tend to float right by the skimmer.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the skimmer have a weir?
    How much of the suction you have through the skimmer?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it has a weir. It's not stuck shut. I'm not sure how to quantify how much suction the skimmer has. I could take a video and show how things just float by the skimmer?

6. Back To Top    #6

Adding another return is not going to help things get pulled into the skimmer much at all.

Do you have a floor drain that is turned on? How is everything plumbed?

Is this a problem only when the suction cleaner is running?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

The problem is mostly circulation. I've got a rectangular pool with one return in the shallow end, which has a 90 elbow pointed towards the deep end and downward slightly. There isn't enough circulation to get anything into the skimmer, unless the debris happens to make several passes. Lots of small stuff just ends up sticking to the opposite side of the pool.

I was hoping to convert the vac line in the deep end to a second return, to force the water a second direction, in hopes that it would get a circular motion going in the water.

- - - Updated - - -

No floor drain.

I I think I could redo the piping back here to achieve what I'm after. I've had it suggested to add another valve that I could use to make the vac line (left valve) be either a suction or a return line.

8. Back To Top    #8

That sounds like an excellent idea (adding another valve to make vac line a return line). The pool I grew up with was rectangular and had only one return line which was on the same wall as the skimmer. It was maddening to watch the surface debris whirlpool around and completely miss the skimmer... I feel your pain.

Wouldn't a simpler solution be to point the elbow straight down?

9. Back To Top    #9

I manage just fine vacuuming by hooking the hose into the skimmer. I have three returns and wish I had six or eight. I'd bote to convert it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!