Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 Kit just arrived. 1month old pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 Kit just arrived. 1month old pool.

Hi there.

Want to start by saying i own a very small 3900 gallons inground pool.

i ordered the TF-100 kit thanks to many reviews on the internet. and i'd like to share with you the results i got.

CL 1
    PH 7.8
    TA 150
    CH 275
    CYA 0

I guess is kinda obvious that i need to get some CYA in order to keep my CL high cause it always drops overnight (i used to check my numbers with those cheap strips from walmart).

What about the TA and PH is that high ? should i work on that adding some acid?

Whats the best way to get my CYA high? Should i keep adding bleach or wait till i get some CYA levels?.

my water is a bit cloudy,not green or anything.

Thank you.
    IG 4400 gallons. Sand filter. Hayward pump. TF-100 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 Kit just arrived. 1month old pool.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool and test kit!

Definitely get 30 ppm of CYA/stabilizer in a sock and in the pool. More here on what and how to add CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Keep FC at 2-3 until you add the CYA and once you add it chlorinate to target based on your CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart

Your TA is a little high but not bad, but it will likely make your PH rise. When PH gets to 7.8 add muriatic acid to lower it to 7.2-7.4 and this will slowly lower your TA until your PH and TA reach equilibrium. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

CH is fine and not important in a vinyl pool as long as it isn't too high.

You are off to a pretty good start! Read this, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you !! ill try to get my hands on some CYA asap and ill keep adding bleach until then. Ill update this later.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey guys , is this what i need for CYA? Clorox Pool and Spa Chlorine Stabilizer, 4 lbs - Walmart.com

Walmart works for me due to no pool stores near me, if this happen to be the wrong one, can you guys tell me what to get?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, that works, however that amount is a way more than you need. I wish you had a pool store nearby so you could just get some liquid as the results are immediate (although the product is more expensive).

Just be sure to add less than you think you need as it is better to undershoot CYA than overshoot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you, ill add what the poolmath tells me to (maybe a bit less so i dont go over the limit).

7. Back To Top    #7

The extra stabilizer will keep for a long time. Just keep it out of the sun and heat.