Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stamped Concrete. Worth it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stamped Concrete. Worth it?

Thanks all for the help.

Was just offered $6 a square foot for colored stamped concrete, which now puts another small but possible good wrench into my decision making. There would be roughly 850-900 square feet around a 20x35' Grecian salt water pool.

Thoughts on stamped concrete with a pool? Is is ANY cooler? (Both temperature and neighborhood )

Thanks again!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stamped Concrete. Worth it?

Stamped concrete is hot and can be slippery with some sealers.

But for $6, wow... Had I gone stamped concrete it was twice that cost.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by spool View Post
    Stamped concrete is hot and can be slippery with some sealers.

But for $6, wow... Had I gone stamped concrete it was twice that cost.
    I wonder if there is something to make it not slippery. Kids and me with a hurt ankle, you raise a good point.

But good to hear $6 is a good price.

4. Back To Top    #4

I can only compare stamped concrete with exposed aggregate concrete. Both get hot, but you cannot walk fast enough on the exposed aggregate finish to keep your feet from burning off. My new pool, in the same city, has stamped concrete and as long as you are moving, even slowly, you can't feel the heat at all. It's been over 100 for the past couple of days and I've had no problem walking around my pool at all.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

I was going to get it till I stood on it. HOLY HOT!!!
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Yes, hot but not a big deal for us. Wet feet or flip flops or brisk walk. Add Sharkbite to sealer for traction.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm confused...so it IS hotter than regular concrete?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Maybe slightly hotter because of the coloration making it darker than plain comcrete.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, it's hotter than regular concrete. I'd recommend standing on it barefoot and decide for yourself. My wife put her bare foot on a pool our PB took us to visit. In that half a second experiment she squashed stamped concrete, didn't care what the cost difference was to get an alternative.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.

10. Back To Top    #10

My plain old rock salt color hardener concrete deck is zero maintenance and cool enough to stand on. All things rock get much hotter than my concrete deck. Pics in build thread in sig. Color is sand.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

We got stamped concrete a few years back. Our concrete guy brought out several samples in different colors and designs and left them in the 100 degree sun for 20 to 30 minutes while he explained his product to us. We checked them out with our bare feet and the color makes a very noticeable difference. We went with a sand color for the main portion and a brown for the coping. It gets hot, but the cooldeck we had was hotter IMO.
    18'X37', 21,500 gallon IG Pool Plaster finish
    Pentair Clean & Clear 200 Cartridge Filter
    1.5 HP Pentair Superflo Pump 2-speed motor
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40
    Kreepy Krawley Cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

Talked again with concrete guy...says he would not apply the high gloss finish for 1. Less Slippery and 2. Likes the natural stone look.
    He agrees too that a sandstone color would greatly help with heat.
    He doesn't want to do kooldeck, saying it doesn't stick after a few years...

13. Back To Top    #13

Just be careful what the concrete guys says. He's going to want to sell you on a more $$$ product. I've know people with spray deck or kool deck and it's lasted for years
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

14. Back To Top    #14

I would definately agree with the matte finish. The gloss finish is slippery, I also prefer the natural look.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by amandahein3 View Post
    Just be careful what the concrete guys says. He's going to want to sell you on a more $$$ product. I've know people with spray deck or kool deck and it's lasted for years
    Nah, he's done work for me before. Good guy, just never thought to ask him about doing my pool deck. None of the companies mentioned said they would let someone else do the concrete work.

He DID mention he could do ROCK SALT and a color for $5 a square foot too.

16. Back To Top    #16

We have both concrete block for our coping and troweled concrete for our hardscape. There is a world of difference in temperature between the two even though they are of similar color. The main difference is in the thickness. The coping is very thick so builds up a lot of heat. The hardscape is much thinner. They are both reasonably light tan which helps. Though we get full sun, our days in the summer get into the 80's but not too many days in the 90's. I can readily walk on the troweled concrete, but cannot stand on the coping for more than a few seconds.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

17. Back To Top    #17

I have stamped concrete and its not hot. I believe it depends on what colors you use. I love the look. only downfall is how will I like it once it cracks..... Here one company wanted to charge $16 a square foot for stamped concrete. Once I watched how easy it was to color and do, $16 is way too much. Luckily i got it for around $10.

18. Back To Top    #18

I honestly don't think it's the color as much as the temp out. Here in Dallas we have many summer days over 100, no way would I get stamped concrete.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks all!

Question, looking at pool covers...how mad am I to drill holes all in the stamped concrete to put down a winter pool cover? I do have trees/crepe myrtles here in TN, near the pool, but not a lot of freezing days.

Looking at these, but the cheaper price seems out of place...but a 15 year warranty? 20 Rect. Safety Covers - Rect. Safety Covers - Safety Covers - Pool Deals

20. Back To Top    #20

OK, so I'm in Dallas and I guess I'm nuts to using aggregate??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast