Pump Overheating?

RRack

Jul 31, 2015
San Antonio
K... I know this is for pools but I can't find any information anywhere and a motor is a motor...

We have an ancient Coleman Hot Tub (guessing 1985ish) and I've been having some issues over the last few years. She's so old that it's entirely run with various relays and no electronic boards. I've always maintained her with new framing, relays, timer, seals, etc. and just don't want to replace her just yet.

Anyway, when I turn timer to run on high flow, it will soon after start clicking off and on. I think it's the internal motor thermal protection because after about 15-30 seconds or so, she'll start pumping on hight again. The filter is clean along with the pump. She'll even do it without the filter. An online shop told me to buy their Deluxe Rebuild kit for $89 that's basically new bearings. Is there anywhere else to get the bearings cheaper? Could the the bearings be dragging creating that much heat and kicking the thermal? I really don't want to replace the pump since it is still strong and not leaking at all... and I don't have several hundred bucks to spare at the moment.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Franklin Electric/Hayward Power Flo 1 1/6hp 115v
SP1510Z2XE-BK

IMG_1428.jpgIMG_1429.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1430.jpg
    IMG_1430.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 38
Could be an electrical issue aswell. I'm not sure I would spend $89 + tax on a guess.
Wouldn't it be better to check Craigslist or Offerup for a cheap like new motor?

Looks like a capacitor housing on top, have you checked it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.