Questions on new Intelliflo, rpm, and hp

pypeke

Silver Supporter
Jul 31, 2015
Southeastern Oklahoma
Hi all. Our plumber and electrician just installed our Intelliflo VS pump. I am trying to figure out the maximum rpm I can use when vacuuming the pool. I was told by Pentair customer service and the company that I bought the pump from to never use it at the full rpm of 3450. Since it took a month to get it installed, I have forgotten what else they told me. (Our old pumps were under water for 2 weeks when the lake was above flood levels and it took a while to dry out so the electrician could unhook the old pump and move the breaker box. We bought the house 4 years ago and inherited that problem.)
Play pool by Foxx pools. Concrete bottom with metal sides???. 1 skimmer, 2 returns at opposite end of skimmer, 1 return on the same side as skimmer. All of the pipes are 1 1/2". Pool is set against the house on the side of a hill so 1 side is against the house with concrete deck. Other 3 sides are surrounded by concrete/rock walls. Those 3 sides are above ground. If you stand on the pool deck you are level with the pool, and there is a drop off to the ground below. Hope that makes sense. It is still an in ground pool.
Play pool: 16 x 32 Ft. Both ends are shallow then going deeper to the middle. Pool starts off 3ft deep, goes about 7ft at a gradual slope until it is 4gt deep. Then slopes another 6.5ft until it is 5ft deep. Then it continues another 5ft until it is 5.5ft deep in the center. Then it slopes back up to the other shallow end with the same measurements. I have to estimate the gallons because the depth is a gradual slope from 3 Ft to 5.5 Ft to 3ft. So shallow + deep =3+5.5=8.5. 8.5/2=4.25.
16 x 32 x 4.25 x 7.5 = 16,320 gallons. My first question... is this good enough of an estimate? 16 x 32 pool with 3.5 ft depth is 13,400. With 4 Ft = 15,400. With 5 Ft = 19,200. The 16,320 is between the highest and lowest of those last numbers. Steps are 3 Ft x 8 Ft and not included in the length or width or gallon estimate.
16,320 gallons. 1 .5" pipes from skimmer/returns/bottom drain to where the old pump was (downhill and level with the bottom drain.(gravity-easy to prime) This is hard to explain. Since we had to move the pump and breaker box up on the deck above, we added more PVC pipe. Coming out of the concrete wall was 1.5" pipe. Where the skimmer pipe meets the bottom drain pipe there is a valve connection.(close main, close skimmer, open all going to pump) From that connection is 2 " pipe with elbow, then going up 7ft, elbow, then over 8 Ft, an elbow, over 15 Ft, an elbow, then up through a wood deck 1 ft, an elbow then 2ft over to the pump. Coming out of the filter is 1.5" pipe back down under the wood deck and back over going in to the concrete wall. So most of the pool plumbing is 1.5" pipe. I can't wrap my head around the amount of resistance.... I have tried to calculate it, but I just gave up. This is in addition to the original plumbing elbows, Ts, and other pipes to figure the resistance.
Old pump was Hayward Super II 1.5 HP with a .75 HP booster pump for a Polaris. We are no longer using the Polaris, so all 3 returns are now connected to the new Intelliflo VS pump. My filter is Hayward S-244T which holds 300 lbs of sand and has a design flow rate of 62 gpm maximum. Since the Intelliflow is a 3 HP pump, I was told to never run it at the maximum rpm. Problem is that a low rpm makes it difficult to vacuum so I need to know the highest rpm I can use. My second question is... how can I calculate the gpm so I don't go over the maximum gpm my filter states?
Third question... How do I decide the highest rpm I can use? The pump is set at maximum 2200 rpm for now. The filter gauge is showing 8 psi. With the old 1.5 HP pump single speed 3450 rpm it usually ran 22-25 psi. I am not sure about converting psi to 25" of Hg vacuum. Intelliflow manual has a warning that states... The Maximum Flow rate setting should be set so the system never operates at or above 25" of Hg vacuum. My plumber installed the pump but I want to make sure he did the right thing.
Fourth question... At 2200 rpm the farthest return has so little flow that we can't feel it. The other end return (middle) has some flow. The side return (closest-was for Polaris) has the most flow. Is there anything we could or should do about this?
Fifth question... How do I determine the lowest rpm and amount of time to run the Intelliflo? We connected a surge protector to the breaker box. If we leave the pump running 24/7 do we turn it off during storms? We did that with our old pump.
What a mess! Sorry if I gave too much information. I know the Intelliflow is 3 HP and is too much HP for my plumbing. The old pump was probably too much also. We have a leak in one of the returns, but that repair had to go on hold since the lake water submerged our old pump and destroyed it.
It will be nice to finally get to use the pool this summer... even if it is still leaking. Thanks for any help you can give me.

That pump at 3450 pumps a ton of water. I never run mine that high. It is mostly trial and error to see what works best for your pool
Here is what I do.
1100 rpm for skimming and making chlorine with SWG, draws 150 watts, and runs 12 to 24 hours per day depending on how busy our zillion trees are. Costs less than $12 per month to run 24x7 at 10.25c /kWh. I started at 900 rpm but as the filter clogged I got low flow errors on the SWG. Filter pressure at 1100 is 0 or close to 0.

1950 rpm to run solar panels, draws 550 watts. And/or waterfall.

The highest I run is 2500 rpm with main drain on when brushing. Or 2500 with skimmers to clear lots of debris from the surface.

I guess I just don't understand. All I know is I was told 1.5 HP motor is too much HP for our pool, but that is what the local pool experts installed before we bought the house. So if 1.5 HP is too big then 3 HP intellipro is too big. Therefore we are not to run it at full speed, but I don't know what rpm to use.

Pypeke,
There is really no reason to run your pump at full speed. But you can if you want to. Nothing is going to tear up if you do. I have a 15K gallon pool with 1.5 inch returns and I run my Intelliflo at 3450 for "quick clean" and mixing chemicals and because if I just want to.

Really the only a few things that matters when using a Variable Speed pump, is that you are getting enough flow to properly skim the pool.

1 is that you have enough flow to skim the pool efficiently
2 is that you have enoguh flow to keep a Saltwater Generator happy
3 is that you have anough flow to keep a Solar Heating System happy
4 is that you have enough flow to keep your heater happy.

Since you didnt fill out your profile like the yellow banner asks when you sign on, then thats why you didnt get a lot of replies. Please fill it out. Its not that we are nosy, or that we care what you have. We dont. But if we dont know what type of equipment you have, then we dont know how to respond and no one really wants to ask you a ton of questions. Please fill it out?

No one can tell you at what RPM to run your pump, but we can help direct you in the proper direction.
Run it just fast enough to make your skimmer happy and that you get good suction going into the skimmer
If you have A swg, run the pump just fast enough to make sure you dont have a low flow alarm
Same goes for Solar Heating if you have it and a Heater

If a smaller pump is selected, then it will actually cost more money in electricity than the 3 HP pump will.

Smaller pumps have smaller impellers and to move x amount of water will take more power to do so. Power = watts = money
It seems counterintuititive, but the 3 HP motor with the larger impeller will actually take less power to move the same x amount of water than the smaller pump will.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.