Finally on the right track

May 25, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for some time now but this is my first post.
I have a 27ft above ground pool that was given to us last year. We set it, went to the pool store and came home with some stabilizer, Acid, powdered shock and pucks. Not knowing any better I did what they said.

All was was well for most of the summer, used pucks, shocked once a week. But near the end of the summer we started having algae problems, to the point at the end of the season I couldn't get rid of it all and closed the pool with some in it.

Well this spring I had a swamp.....again back the the pool store for a water test. Said all was good just needed a good shock..... so we did that and the pool cleared up in a few days.

It was at this point that I started researching a little more about pool maintenance and found this site. I knew I wanted to follow this method but being in Canada it was very hard to get one of the approved test kits. THey are very expensive up here and I could not convince my wife that we NEEDED it. So I guessed using strips and OTO tests and used only liquid chlorine and Acid. All was going well until last week when the pool went green. I had my suspicion something was up because the water was not very shinny for a few days before that and seemed kinda cloudy.

After this outbreak I finally convinced my Wife that I need this kit and I wasnt doing anything until it got here. I ordered the Taylor kit and it was to arrive on Wed. Well it was delayed and was told it would not arrive till Friday (today)

I started the slam process Wed anyways using the OTO test for chlorine and assuming I had a CYA of 50 (test strip said 30 to 50 so I picked the high number). Now I know this was not ideal and I probably wasted a little chlorine but I wanted the pool for this weekend. Using pool math I just took the chlorine to 25 (overshooting unpurpose) and then would let it fall until that OTO would be yellow instead of orange. Assume that was 15 and top chlorine back up to 25.
The after day 1 the pool was now very cloudy but not green anymore. And then today when I got home from work the pool is looking Blue again and is still a little cloudy but i can see the bottom no problem.

Now for the good part. MY TEST KIT CAME IN.

Knowing that my FC was high I only tested CYA and FC and CC

FC - 12
CC - 0.5
CYA - 40

So using pool math I topped the CL back to 20 (16 is shock level but i am not going to home tonight and dont want it fall below when I am gone)

And that is where I stand. I cant wait to take control of this pool once and for all!

Yesterday
bebef3611908b494390ab01040373c14.jpg

Today
f71fab96ad0c135cffe02a6b9f99a05d.jpg

Unfortunately I did not take a pic before I started.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.