Hello Algae Warriors- (PS- LOL I think the TERM "ALGAE WARRIOR" needs to be on a TFP T-shirt)
My SLAM is almost finished thanks to the awesome knowledgeable people here at TFP. (SLAM started on 7-18-15). My once green swamp of a pool, that was left untouched, and uncovered for over 3 years, that required approx. a truckload of green, slimy, yuck, to have to be removed from the bottom of the pool, is looking beautiful.
(When my SLAM began my CC level was running almost exactly double of my FC level, that's how gross it was in there).
TODAY: My current levels FC 17, CC 0 (whoo hoo!!), CYA 40, (others levels have not been checked during SLAM, but prior to SLAM were pH 7.2, CH 100, and TA 80 .
I have been consistently meeting 2 of the criteria on OCLT for several days, except for the water being crystal clear, so I'm continuing to keep my FC levels at shock level while running the filter 24/7, until that occurs. The pool is almost clear, and continues to improve daily. Yesterday I could see below the water about 2 ft., and today I can see the vacuum head, and the hose connected to it on the pool bottom, although still cloudy/hazy it is visible, so the end of SLAMming is near.
I have a few questions on what I need to do, and how I need to do it, once I meet all 3 OCLT criteria and head into the Level and Maintain phases.
(I'm almost certain I know the answers to most of the questions, but I want to ask them just to be certain because I don't want to mess this up, and have to restart SLAM because of it).
If I'm understanding all this correctly. I think once OCLT is met that I need to let my FC levels drop back down until they reach My Target FC per CL/CYA chart. This would be Target FC of 5, and no lower than my minimum of 3, at my current CYA of 40. Is this correct?
1) Do I recheck the CYA before the SLAM ends, or at what period after slam does CYA need to be rechecked to ensure Minimum or Target FC levels are being maintained?
2)Are there a certain amount of times daily that I should check the FC/CC levels during this time?
3) Do any other levels, other than CYA, need to be checked at this time too, or do I wait until Target FC is reached, and is being maintained, and then check the other levels, and begin leveling them after?
4) After All levels are checked, is there a specific order they need to be leveled in? i.e.) pH 1st, then TA, etc.?
5) Once everything is leveled how often does a full set of levels need to be checked after that?
6) How often should the FC/CC levels be being checked once everything is leveled to ensure Min-Target FC levels are being maintained?
7)Does a full set of levels, or just the FC/CC levels need to be rechecked after water is added, it rains, and after swimming?
8)On average how often does the FC/CC levels need to be checked to ensure it is being maintained?
9) If water is added should a full set of levels be checked of just the FC/CC levels?
10) Should the pool continue to be brushed/vacuumed about the same amount of times daily as was done during the SLAM, or can those be done less?
a)If Less, approx. how often should they be done?
11) Approx. How long daily should the pump be ran after SLAM?
12) Should small amount of DE being used during SLAM continue to be used after SLAM?
13)I read that it is safe to swim as long as the FC is below 10, Is this correct?
14) I'm almost positive the pH must be within recommended range of 7.5-7.8 to be able to safely swim in the pool. Is this correct?
15)Are there any other chemical levels that if they become high or low that affect the ability to swim in the pool safely?
16) If I'm going out of town, or going to be unavailable for a couple of days, Is there any way I calculate how many 3" pucks need to be placed into the floater to keep my FC levels up while away?
Anyway that's all the questions I can think of that I need clarification on at the moment, lol but I'm sure there will be a lot more later.
Thank you all again, for everything you do. You all, the TFP site, and the BBB method are all just awesome. Have A Wonderful Night!!!