Dallas, TX
temp 91
FC- 6.5
CC- 0
pH- 7.6
TA- 120
CH- 450
CYA- 200-200+
Pool owner for 10+ years but new to TFP method, always just used tablets and granular shock "as needed", oops!! Moving to bleach now. Chlorine has been running crazy high for months and couldn't get in normal range, scaling on glass tiles and copper spouts. I knew something was screwy but everything looked fine other than high chlorine with a basic test kit and when the neighborhood pool store would check so here I am, just tested with Taylor 2006 kit and things are screwy! What now?? Do I have to drain the whole daggum pool to get the CYA down? Can I overfill a little at a time, do I let the munchkins have a splash party?
thanks!

Nothing looks screwy. In fact it looks pretty much as expected. That being said, we can get you on road to recovery.

- - - Updated - - -

Your chlorine isn't high, in fact, it's pretty low for your level of CYA.

Welcome to TFP!

Well, you are really going to have to get the CYA down to be able to manage the pool. You would need to keep your FC around 20 at all times, assuming your CYA is "only" 200. That is a little excessive.

CYA is only removed when the water is physically removed (not through evaporation) and if you just overfill a little at a time it will take you months to get it down. A large change now will be the most efficient way to do it.

Welcome to TFP!

Chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. As you will see the CYA chart only goes to 100, but you can multiply the numbers for 100 times 2 for 200, etc. Under 100 is a LOT better.

You can do the extended test in post 8 of this thread, Extended Test Kit Directions, to get a better idea of where the level really is.

Here is a little reading from Pool School.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

We actually had a full drain 4-5 years ago, I can't imagine what the levels would be if it weren't for that! I just stretched the extended test further, broke it down to 1/4. End result is a CYA of 280. We came from FL where you could buy liquid chlorine, TX doesn't sell it, I thought tablets were my only option for the last 6 years.
I can't come to terms with having to drain 25000 gallons and neither can my husband, is that what you would do? If we don't what would our FC need to be maintained at? It's already destroying my girls' swimsuits as is...

We actually had a full drain 4-5 years ago, I can't imagine what the levels would be if it weren't for that! I just stretched the extended test further, broke it down to 1/4. End result is a CYA of 280. We came from FL where you could buy liquid chlorine, TX doesn't sell it, I thought tablets were my only option for the last 6 years.
I can't come to terms with having to drain 25000 gallons and neither can my husband, is that what you would do? If we don't what would our FC need to be maintained at? It's already destroying my girls' swimsuits as is...

There is a product that I've seen linked previously - Bio Active CYA Reducer I haven't used it, but it might be a good alternative to a full drain.

Because of the very low number of successful results from Bioactive TFP does not recommend using it.

Do your girls swim in a public pool? If so then that is what is destroying their swimsuits. At your CYA an FC of 25 would be less harsh than a pool with no CYA and 2 FC, like most public pools.

What would I do? Drain 80% of it, switch to bleach and never have to worry about overstabilization again.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.