Salt Pool Chem Balance Question

Jul 13, 2015
Clearwater, FL
I have been slowly learning my newly resurfaced pool. We filled it in May, and TA has finally come down. pH is stabilizing, needing only small additions of muriatic acid every few days. Despite all the torrential rains that have had me dumping more than a foot of water over the past month, I think I have CYA where it needs to be (barring too much more water exchange). Calcium hardness has been dropping a little, though. Do I need to be concerned with CH right now? I know that after a couple dry weeks I may have to add water, which will bring CH up some.

My numbers from the Taylor 2006:
FC 5.5. pH 7.8 (lowering it to 7.4 today). TA 60. CH 230. CYA 70. Salt 3000.
I measured less than 0.5 CC today, which seems to be the norm with clouds, storms, and lots of tree debris in the pool. Usually there is no CC.

Thomasg,

Welcome to the forum. Have you tested your fill water for CH? 230 is a little low. I run mine around 300. It should not be a problem in the short term but I would not run it that low for an extended period as it will leach calcium from your plaster. Your other numbers look great but your TA looks a little low. I run my TA around 70 which is on the low end but it helps keep my Ph a little more stable. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.