When to replace the liner?

SandyO

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2015
Oxford, MI
We figured out that our pool is probably about 14 years old. We have to assume the liner is original. There are no leaks or tears. However, there is some severe discoloration on the bottom of the pool. In one corner it looks like a plume with no pattern (and it feels different on your feet) where we assume they poured in any chemicals which then made their way over to the bottom drain. The rest of the bottom is just really faded. The pattern should be the same as the walls and it is definitely not.

When should I think about replacing the liner? If it hold water, do I just leave it be? I don't want to spend money for just the cosmetic - the sparkling clear water more than makes up for that part. :)

I replaced my original liner after 18 years, it was faded to a light blue but until the last year it had never had a leak. The last year the cleaner caused a tear that I patched, but the liner was so brittle I knew it wouldn't last much longer and I replaced it at the start of the next season. I plan on doing the same with the current liner, as long as it doesn't leak I won't replace it.

The tear was more of a flap that I was able to feel as I was patching the liner. Instead of being flexible it was stiff. I'm not sure without it having torn I would have been able to tell. I think the real sign was the liner getting a tear in it after that many years.

Last season during the initial brushing following the winter safety cover removal we had a 2" crack/hole near the steps. I know it happened during the brushing because if it was there before the water level would have been down to that hole. We had several more leaks last year, to the point that I shut it down and closed it one month early. Our seven year old liner's sides and bottom were faded to almost white below the water line/level. It was a light gray marbled color to start, I'm almost positive the company who was treating our pool, "overdosed" our water with chemicals. The reason I say this is since the initial fill of the new liner this year I've had almost no chemicals added except salt,stabilizer to boost my CYA, and bleach to bring my FC up until my salt water generator could maintain it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.