Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Umbrella Sleeves in Gunite - question

1. Back To Top    #1

Umbrella Sleeves in Gunite - question

I just noticed that our umbrella sleeves in the gunite go straight through to the dirt! There is no 'floor'.
    Is this normal?
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Umbrella Sleeves in Gunite - question

Not mine the tanning ledge on mine is probably about 12" thick so the umbrella sleeve is not to the dirt. That would scare me.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

3. Back To Top    #3

Just talked to the super... he says it is normal and the crew that installs the sleeve usually seals it. To the non-professional like myself, it seems to be like a hole in a boat!
    The sleeves are in the baja benches and I measured the depth of the hole - gunite is 7 inches think and then dirt..
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Owner of the shotcrete company that I used came on-site for my shoot and asked me if I had any sleeves I wanted installed. Handed him four and he threw them to his guys in the pool and they installed them. I guess the don't normally do this because one of the guys told him to throw him a box of tile and he'd tile the pool too LOL.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    Owner of the shotcrete company that I used came on-site for my shoot and asked me if I had any sleeves I wanted installed. Handed him four and he threw them to his guys in the pool and they installed them. I guess the don't normally do this because one of the guys told him to throw him a box of tile and he'd tile the pool too LOL.
    During my build the sleeves went in with the plaster. The gunite crew left a rough hole for them to work with.
    14x29, IG, Plaster, Jandy 340 CL cartridge filter,
    Jandy Flo Pro VS 2HP pump, build in progress (started 15 May)
    7' Spa (12" raise) MX6 cleaner, JXI 260,000BTU heater, color LED pool and spa
    Raised bond beam w/18" sheer decent, stamped deck, 4x deck jets, fire pit.
    Here for advice on test kit, maint, things to know, etc.