PH and ta

Rich72

Jul 31, 2015
Whitewater
My ta is 170ppm and my ph is 6.2. I have muriatic acid and borax how do I use them and in what order. I have a cartridge filter my first pool. Sorry if this is a dumb question. When people say added to the skimmer can I also do that even though I have a cartridge filter

Hi and welcome! I would first focus on PH and raise by borax, soda ash, and/or combination of aeration. You want it at least at 7.2. The Poolmath calculator can help. Once your PH is over 7.2, then you can see what changed with your TA and start to "slowly" try to adjust it down a little while keeping the PH at its required range. This page: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals can help you a bit as well.

So adjust PH first, then TA. Always add chemicals near a return just with the pump on for at least 30 minutes. You might also consider reviewing these pages as well:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
TFTestkits.net
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Welcome!

Thanks for your reply. I thought ta is the buffer for ph. On YouTube they say to get the ta in line before you mess with ph. How do I figure out how much borax to put in and do I broadcast it or dump it in the pool. Again thank you very much for helping

You are correct. TA serves as a buffer for PH, but your PH is so low right now you could cause damage to your pool or equipment. So I would increase that PH to a safe level first, then adjust them both slowly together. It takes a bit of time when they are separated by so much (back & forth), but it will work. You can use the Poolmath calculator to assist in amounts to use.

- - - Updated - - -

It's always best to add chemicals slowly near a return jet with the pump running to help mix everything better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.