Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead Pump advice HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Dead Pump advice HELP!

Hey everybody, Sorry to not spend the time searching for previous articles on pumps but I got home from a trip last night and leave on another one Tuesday and need to replace my pump ASAP since it is toast (actually burned my hand when I touched the side of it.) Here are a couple of pictures of my equipment but I really need recommendations on what to get. This pump has been replaced before by my home warranty and I will not go that route again since it was loud and junk from day one. My pool is a big bathtub at only 11,800 gallons with SWG.

Thanks in advance,
    Francisco

IMG_2540.jpg
    IMG_2541.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Dead Pump advice HELP!

You have a Pentair Whisperflo pump, which actually is a good pump. It looks like only the motor was only replaced because the original motor was tan also. That replacement motor could have been a cheapie. My recommendations are to get a better motor or replace the whole pump with the same kind, unless you want to go to a Variable Speed Pump, which are more expensive but very energy efficient. All depends on your wallet.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by OldPoolMan View Post
    You have a Pentair Whisperflo pump, which actually is a good pump. It looks like only the motor was only replaced because the original motor was tan also. That replacement motor could have been a cheapie. My recommendations are to get a better motor or replace the whole pump with the same kind, unless you want to go to a Variable Speed Pump, which are more expensive but very energy efficient. All depends on your wallet.
    Thank you. Right now I'm going to have to just replace the motor (AC died as well!) Any recommendations on motors and where to get them from. The ranges I see are all over the place and I have no way to tell where to focus. I'd like to order off of amazon but I have to get the motor by tomorrow or Monday latest so I can replace it before my trip.

Thanks again,

Francisco
    11.8k gallon inground plaster pool; 3'-5' depth; one skimmer; two returns;
    Whisper Flow WF-28; AquaRite T-15 SWG; no heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I would look at getting a 2 speed motor like the Pentair 2 HP Two Speed Motor 071321S

also, add bleach daily to your pool to maintain FC, brush it or swim to keep it mixed up. That way you won't have a dead pump and a swamp.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Check Poolplaza.com they sell replacement motors, complete pumps, and pump parts etc. They are based in Dallas, but I don't know if they have a brick and mortar store front or weekend hours

p.s. looking at their web page, they have saturday hours and same day delivery available in the metroplex
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool pump motors are not rare and sacred objects. You should be able to get one, at a reasonable discount, from your local electric motor shop. You'll pay tax, but no shipping and there is a good chance they will have it in stock.

7. Back To Top    #7

As stated, you can probably get by with just a motor (looks like a 2 HP 1.1 SF on the label - so make sure the new motor matches or exceeds that) . Or you can get a replacement pump - but a 2HP pump is just way oversized unless you have some water features like a spa, etc.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Just wanted to tell everybody thanks again. Luckily before I just went and bought a new pump I tried it again and this time heard the humming of the capacitor. One quick and (relatively) inexpensive change and we are golden.

Francisco
    11.8k gallon inground plaster pool; 3'-5' depth; one skimmer; two returns;
    Whisper Flow WF-28; AquaRite T-15 SWG; no heater