New Pool Build in Southern California

Hello all...I have been reading this forum now for a few weeks, ever since we signed a contract with Blue Fountain Pools. They have been doing great work, just poor communication on when they will be out and what not. So far they have gotten the hole dug, steel in, plumbing and underground all done and signed off along with all pool equipment installed. now seems as all we need to do is get the pre-cast copping instlaled with the tile and stacked stone. But I have a few questions...
1. We want to do a darker plaster (medium grey) but have heard horror stories about it discoloring in a few years. Is this because they had bad water chemistry or is it just going to happen with a non white plaster?
2. The plaster guys want an extra $600 to use grey instead of white...seems very expensive for a few bags of color dye. Or is there actually a huge cost for the extra color?
3. I have read that you can not swim in the new pool for anywhere between 7-30 days after the plaster is completed...what is the actual amount of time before we can swim?
4. I will be maintaining my own pool so I will be on here a lot with questions...(more of a statement, but oh well)

thanks guys and look forward to the new forum
Richie Rich

You will need accurate numbers for your chemicals, most people here use the tf-100 test kit, sold by TFTestkits.net . I also bought the K-1776 kit as I have a salt pool. A time saver is the speedstir, more accurate results and easier on the wrists. I would start reading up on information here by beginning with pool school.

Start-up Cards - National Plasterers Council

Not to confuse you with different start-up procedures, but here is one from the National Plasterers Council along with some other information that might be helpful.

Have you looked into the Pebble Tec, Pebble Sheen and Pebble Fina pool finishes? They might be of interest to you. They likely cost more than a plaster finish but they are supposed to last longer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.