Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inactive ingredients in bleach vs chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Zeeland MI

Inactive ingredients in bleach vs chlorine

So I know that bleach and Chlorine are the same thing in different concentrations but can anyone tell me why my bleach seems to have more of a potent smell than liquid chlorine if it is the same stuff? Maybe it is just my bleach... Do manufacturers add a "bleach" smell to the stuff you buy from the store? Maybe I am crazy. Go sniff your jugs
    15'x30' 54" deep Above Ground (Built July 2015)
    12,000 Gallons
    Ecco 22" Sand Filter
    Waterway 1.5HP pump model: SD-15-1N11CC
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Buckeye AZ

Re: Inactive ingredients in bleach vs chlorine

If it is older bleach, some of the active cl may have converted and what you smell is byproduct, not necessarily the active cl...?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Some sodium hypo has a little more lye than others. That could be the difference in odor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Some bleach has fragrance added but that's not the bleach you want for pools. Other bleach is splash-less or "outdoor" which has more lye and thickeners in it and again is not what you want for pools. Plain bleach should be the same as chlorinating liquid except for concentration. Differences in the amount you smell probably have more to do with how full the bottle is (amount of gas vs. liquid), shape of the container, temperature, and other factors affecting gas volatility.

Clorox bleach also contains a very small amount of sodium polyacrylate (see this post for more details about the contents of bleach), but that should not be volatile nor smell.

When bleach degrades it forms mostly chlorate though lower-quality bleach will also form more oxygen gas. Neither should smell. Most of what you smell in bleach is hypochlorous acid gas and some hypochlorite ions (yes, a small number can escape even though they are charged, but of course this amount is limited). Technically, this gets into the water/liquid in your nose and reacts with chemicals to form chloramines so your nose may be detecting those as well.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

^as an engineer geek I so enjoy your explanations.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    ^as an engineer geek I so enjoy your explanations.
    ^ ² ^ Geeks ^
    20K gal, Fiberglass, 1.5 hp Century Pump, Sta-Rit System 3 Model PLM-100, 100 SQ Foot. Inline Frogger Chlorinater Mineral pack removed, adjusted the Chlorine pac to put in my own when on vacation. Liquid Pool Sanitizer,, BBB style.