Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock-level bleach and no way to move the water

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Shock-level bleach and no way to move the water

I had just poured in enough bleach to bring my pool up to shock level, then while turning off the timers, the pump system broke. I am waiting for a callback from my repair guy, but in the meantime I am very concerned about what damage all that bleach will do if the water is not moving. Should I be concerned about this? Is there anything I can do until he gets here? What if I cannot get it repaired for several days? (FYI, I am a pool owner for only 2 months. I just joined TFP last week. It really helped me to understand the chemicals better & stay away from the pool store. I am not so good with the equipment yet.)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock-level bleach and no way to move the water

Brush it, brush it, brush it. But in this heat we've had, all that SLAM level bleach will burn off pretty quickly----- end of day probably. Got Test results for us? Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

was there any circulation at all? Even a few minutes is all it should take. A few times around with he brush and you'll be fine.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

You'll be fine. As mentioned above, brush and stir everything manually. If your FC is below SLAM level and it's just bleach, you can hop in the as well! No problem. Just don't wear your finest swimwear is all - just in case. Hope your pump gets resolved soon. Oh ... and welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks so much everybody. That is a relief! The pump was running well while I was pouring and for at least another 5 minutes before pump broke. I did some brushing as well. Thanks for your help! I apologize my signature did not come through. I must have forgot to commit. It should work in the future.
    15000 gallons, IG plaster, Hayward Pro-Grid DE, Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP full rated single-speed pump, AquaRite SWG, Taylor K-2006, built 2007.

6. Back To Top    #6

You got it Pete. It's showing now. Good luck, and have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you have a pool cover pump and access to electricity? If so, put the pump in the area you poured in the chlorine, and run a garden hose to the other end of the pool. You won't get any filtration, but the water will circulate.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart