Amount of Decking

Dec 23, 2014
Saugus
Sorry to ask this question again but still trying to get a visual of roughly somewhere between 1000 and 1500 sf of decking.

Budget is certainly an issue but .....can you folks share some input on how many sf of deck you have?

I am almost at the decking stage now and would love some further input/pictures that demonstrate exactly how many sf of deck you have.

Pool is going to be 22 x 38 free form

I'm thinking a minimum of 4' on 3 sides and then coming back to the house with 12-15 feet for table, chairs, grill etc.

Thank you in advance.

We are doing 703 sqft of decking
0d3b931391ba96fb816c8517a616a4e8.jpg

Not a real pic but don't have it done yet! Lol

after reading the forums for a few years it seems like the general rule of thumb is the more decking the better. In my case I have about 3' of deck where the pool meets the grass. This is an issue when I cut and trim the grass as it is hard to keep it out of the water which means I have to clean the pool after cutting the grass.

I have 1350 square feet of deck. It was basically all that would fit. My back yard is all pool and deck except a five foot planting area on each side and two tiered planting areas along the back. There is also an outdoor kitchen area and the pool equipment area behind a wall in one corner. The rest is deck. I left room for just enough plants to soften and provide a backdrop for the pool.

In addition to the 1350 of deck, I have an additional 650 square feet of covered patio adjoining the pool deck, so I guess the total is 2,000 square feet. I wouldn't give up any of it.

Ours is 1650 SF. The link in my signature will take you there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine is a rectangle pool with sides of 9', 18' and two 4' lengths. We keep two chaise loungers, 3 Adirondack chairs, one table with 4 chairs and 1 zero gravity lounger on the deck. One 4' side is entirely taken up with the autocover box. Thankfully we made it big enough (because someone at work told me "get as much as you can, you won't regret it later" and it was true).GoogleHousePic.jpg

The general rule for deck is as much as you can fit or afford. More is always better. But then I live in AZ and have an outdoor kitchen, dining area, and living room, as well as the pool loungers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.