Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Amount of Decking

1. Back To Top    #1

Amount of Decking

Sorry to ask this question again but still trying to get a visual of roughly somewhere between 1000 and 1500 sf of decking.

Budget is certainly an issue but .....can you folks share some input on how many sf of deck you have?

I am almost at the decking stage now and would love some further input/pictures that demonstrate exactly how many sf of deck you have.

Pool is going to be 22 x 38 free form

I'm thinking a minimum of 4' on 3 sides and then coming back to the house with 12-15 feet for table, chairs, grill etc.

Thank you in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Amount of Decking

We are doing 703 sqft of decking

Not a real pic but don't have it done yet! Lol
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

3. Back To Top    #3

after reading the forums for a few years it seems like the general rule of thumb is the more decking the better. In my case I have about 3' of deck where the pool meets the grass. This is an issue when I cut and trim the grass as it is hard to keep it out of the water which means I have to clean the pool after cutting the grass.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

My suggestion has always been.....

Figure out how much decking you want and then double it. Everything takes up way more room than you think.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

I have approx 1000 sq ft. Posting pics of deck work that was started today.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Pics of my 400sf deck in my build thread in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I have 1350 square feet of deck. It was basically all that would fit. My back yard is all pool and deck except a five foot planting area on each side and two tiered planting areas along the back. There is also an outdoor kitchen area and the pool equipment area behind a wall in one corner. The rest is deck. I left room for just enough plants to soften and provide a backdrop for the pool.

In addition to the 1350 of deck, I have an additional 650 square feet of covered patio adjoining the pool deck, so I guess the total is 2,000 square feet. I wouldn't give up any of it.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

This is my pool design. I have about 1700sf of decking. This includes the covered Lanais that will flow into the deck as all one level and material (travertine).

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Ours is 1650 SF. The link in my signature will take you there.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

keep em coiming.....i love getting ideas from this forum

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Ours is 1650 SF. The link in my signature will take you there.
    Does the 1650sf include the walkway?

12. Back To Top    #12

I have about 3,000 square feet of travertine.
    The best way to see it all is the drone flight video I took. Click on the video

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by heegs24 View Post
    Does the 1650sf include the walkway?
    No, just the rectangle around the pool. The walkway is about another 250.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Mine is a rectangle pool with sides of 9', 18' and two 4' lengths. We keep two chaise loungers, 3 Adirondack chairs, one table with 4 chairs and 1 zero gravity lounger on the deck. One 4' side is entirely taken up with the autocover box. Thankfully we made it big enough (because someone at work told me "get as much as you can, you won't regret it later" and it was true).GoogleHousePic.jpg
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

The general rule for deck is as much as you can fit or afford. More is always better. But then I live in AZ and have an outdoor kitchen, dining area, and living room, as well as the pool loungers.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit