Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Question.

Current CYA is 50.

A couple of days ago I put in 1/2 a gallon of bleach at 1:20 PM and my FC had risen from 3 to 4 (+1) by 6:45 to following morning. I know the sun had something to do with that. Last night at 9:00 PM my FC was at 2.5 so I added 1 gallon of 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite which yields 7.86% Chlorine (not sure which of these two numbers to put into pool math but I used the 7.26). According to Pool Math this should have taken me up to an FC of 6 but this morning it registered at 7.5 (+5) Is this a result of using the wrong factor above, my pool actually being smaller than I figured (it's free form with a tanning ledge so...), the time of day, all of the above, or none of the above?

Please share your thoughts and I thank you in advance for your assistance. Im hoping that I can use PoolMath to get closer on my estimated pool volume.

[IMG][/IMG]
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Question.

I just broke my pool down into 3 sections (deep end, shallow end, and tanning ledge) to try and figure out if I am off on my volume estimate and I came up with it being between 28,000 and 30,000 gallons.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chlorine Question.

Here was another discussion on that a while back: percentages for the pool calculator.

I use the same bleach from Wal-Mart and always list it as 8.25% (Sodium Hypochlorite) on the calculator.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!