Returning member back with questions

Jun 3, 2008
Hi everyone, I was a member of the forum a few years ago, and then we sold that house and bought a house with no pool. Yesterday, we just got an offer accepted on a foreclosure with a pool that has been sitting for two years. It has a cover on it right now, so it's really a big mystery, but I'm wondering what exactly I should be looking for in terms of major warning signs or problems. I knelt down and looked through the cover, and could see that there is still water in the pool, which I imagine is a very good sign. It's essentially black sludge, but it is holding water! The pool doesn't have a vinyl liner - looks like concrete or something? Our last pool had a vinyl liner and that's really all I'm familiar with.

So, is there anything that I should look for that would make this pool so problematic as to make me walk away from purchasing this house?

Thanks! I will try to get more info and pictures of the equipment today. I really don't have any idea how deep it is (though it appears to have a diving board under the cover, so I'm assuming fairly deep).

Congrats on the new pool! Please update your location in your settings. Climate and location is an important consideration when we are helping you with your pool.

Holding water is a very good sign! The biggest thing to me would be the structural integrity of the pool and deck. Any obvious shifting or sinking, big cracks in the deck or pool, things like that. Equipment and plumbing is cheap enough to repair or replace for a few thousand dollars if needed.

Post up some pics and we'll take a look.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.