Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt coming from jets during vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix, AZ

Dirt coming from jets during vacuuming

Howdy, all. My neighbor moved, and while the house is on short sale, I've asked if I can use the pool until the bank takes it. When I took it over, it was green, and opaque below about 18" or so; water tests showed phosphates were extremely high (1000 ppb), so I used a phosphate remover. That allowed chlorine to do the job. All other water parameters are within norms, and I try to keep chlorine around 5 or a little higher. CYA is 70, a bit on the high side but apparently normal for Arizona. Now the pool is just murky. I've backwashed- twice- re-charged with DE. When I try to vacuum, I get a lot of dirt out of the jets. I disassembled the filter, brushed off the elements (which now I know not to do- just hose them down). It's one of those Hayward filters with a manifold on top. There are no obvious holes in the filter. The slip fitting between the manifold and the filter plumbing is a bit cracked, but not enough to explain the amount of gunk that gets back into the water during vacuuming. I replaced the gaskets on the plunger valve; the bottom one was completely ripped, with a 1/4" gap. I thought perhaps that would put an end to the dirt re-entering the pool, but- no joy. So, now I have a filthy pool, a filter that doesn't filter, and no idea where the leak is. By "dirty," I mean that the water coming out of the jets has relatively large particles, as well as copious fine particles- it's like pouring chocolate milk into the pool, it's so opaque. There's an obvious problem somewhere in the filter line. Again, I was getting bad filtration even before I removed the filter and removed what I could with a brush- not that I was aggressive with it, but I don't think I damaged it unduly. I've read through a bunch of posts- I'll try draining some of the vacuuming water next time I do that- but is there anything else I'm missing that I could do? I'm pretty much ready to give up since the bank is going to own it soon anyway; not going to buy a whole new filter when I can't use the pool, after all.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Dirt coming from jets during vacuuming

The filter is not filtering like it should. It might be because it did not get cleaned like it should. I wonder if there is enough DE in it? Look up the model and see how much DE it is called for with that filter.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!