CH: 125
Cya: 150

Completed the refill and retested just now:
FC: 1
CC: 1
PH: 7.2
TA: 140
CYA: 90

I'd really hate to have to drain and refill again.
What can I do?
This is my first conversion to this method of chlorinating my pool.
I've already removed the 3" tabs from my inline chlorinator and bought 10 jugs of bleach.

**13 K gallons, in ground, rectangle, 14 x 30 Vinyl, single main drain, Sand filter, Hayward Tablet Chlorinator, Pentair Pump

Last edited:
Re: Frustrated after drain and refill

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what I should do to my pool at this point. I tried the pool calculator but I'm not comprehending the calculations.
I have 8.25% bleach and Borax. I don't know how much I should add at this point.

What have you put in for pool volume in gallons? We need information about your pool to help. You should put the information as your signature; look above at pooldv as an example. Ask if you can't figure out how to build your signature or don't know what info. to include.

I didn't know that my signature was not attached to my post.

13 K gallons, in ground, rectangle, 14 x 30 Vinyl, single main drain, Sand filter, Hayward Tablet Chlorinator, Pentair Pump

Maybe asking the obvious, but this was a partial refill right?

With a cya of 90 your initial liquid chlorine addition will seem high, but once that's in the pool, you are adding just what you lost each day, and that amount will be about the same at any FC level, 3-4 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

For your pool, to go from 0 fc to 12 would take 231 oz of 8.25% bleach. At sundown take another FC reading and put that in the now column, have 12 as your target, and add what it says to get back to 12. Repeat each sundown until you get the hang of it. If your sundown test ever show less than 7, you need to aim higher with your target.

Ok, I figured out the pool calculator. I didn't realize that I should put in all the levels FIRST then calculate. I was trying to do one element at a time.:confused: DUH!!
I can't wait to get home to start getting my pool in order.
:)
Stay tuned! Mahalo.

you can do one at a time, but others down the list will affect goals above. Did you select troublefreepool.com as the reference in the menu at the bottom? Put the current readings in in any order, but don't look at the recommended actions until you've done everything. If you need to SLAM, you would also need to manually put in the goal for FC.

BuckeyeChris-

I eventually found where I could change my method to "Troublefreepool" instead of conventional. That made a big difference in the calculations.

Not only am I am "challenged" pool owner, I'm also not the greatest with computers. :(
Please bear with me.

I don't even know if I'm headed in the right direction.
Nor do I because i am not sure of the problem. Let's get a simple plan working. Tell us how your water looks.....we'll go from there. If you can post a pic that would be helpful, too.

My pool is clean and crystal clear, but my chemical readings are a mess!
Reminder, this is a few days after >50% refill.
FC: 0
CC: .5
CH: 100
TA: 170
CYA: 100

I'm testing and re adjusting twice a day.
I'm about a week into converting to "TFPC method".

Attachments

• 8.2.15 pool.jpg
    8.2.15 pool.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

Okay Marci, let's take it one step at a time:
1 - Your CYA is still quite high :( I know, that means another partial drain. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but 100 is simply too high. Unless you made a mistake in testing, but if the black dot disappeared too early .. it means partial drain. That has to be done before adding any more chemicals.
2 - If it wasn't for the CYA, I'd say expedite bleach right away. O FC is dangerous.

So try to reduce that CYA some more and then next set of readings, make sure you include the PH. That's very important as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Recap:
1 - Lower CYA (at least to 70-ish), 50-60 probably ideal though
2 - After drain, add bleach right away with a target of about 8-9
3 - Check/adjust PH to ensure it's between 7.2-7.8

Those should be your first priorities.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - Try not to let that CYA issue get you down too much. MANY of us went through the same thing before we learned TFP and realized what pool store products do to CYA. Now that you know, you'll be in control from now on. Mahalo! :)

"if the black dot never disappeared"

Texas Splash,

This part of your message confused me. My black dot disappears way too early, indicating a high CYA, right?
I hope I'm doing the test wrong and I don't need to do another partial drain. (My husband is about to kill me over this.)

Thank you for responding. Aloha!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.