Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Run Time: I think I'm wasting $$$

1. Back To Top    #1
    West Hills, CA (Los Angeles County = no water)

Pump Run Time: I think I'm wasting $$$

I've read through the Pool School Determine Pump Run Time. It is general knowledge and I'm looking for help with something more specific..

Roughly 17000 gallons in a kidney bean shape. I have a Hayward Ecostar Variable Pump. At some point I changed the settings for whatever reason and now I think I'm just wasting money.

From the manual it seems as though there are 8 different timers plus four present Speed buttons:
    1. How long overall should my pump run?
    1a. My understanding was that this should run 24 hours a day due to the Variable nature
    2. At what speeds should it run?
    3. At what length of time should the timers run?
    4. Anyone know of an online calculator?
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Run Time: I think I'm wasting $$$

1. Minimum is 2 hours, maximum is up to you.
    1a. Not true and unnecessary
    2. Try 1000 RPM as see if that is good enough for the skimmers
    3. See #1
    4. For what?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    1. Minimum is 2 hours, maximum is up to you.
    1a. Not true and unnecessary
    2. Try 1000 RPM as see if that is good enough for the skimmers
    3. See #1
    4. For what?
    Thanks mas985! I better get to experimenting and then seeing how much money I've lost :'(
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi fatboy,
    how long you need to run it really vaires from pool to pool.
    2 hours is a good start, 4 hours is usually enough for a lot of folks.

If you have a lot of dust which blows every day, you may need to run your pump longer, for skimming purposes, than someone who love in Florida in a lush dust free environment.

John Q Farmer with a wheatfield in his backyard in Iowa may well need to run it than the guy with lots of dust blowing in.

see what I mean?

Basically, its run it enough that keeps your pool skimmed and get some decent circulation. There really are no rules beyond that.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Get a flowvis it will tell u you. GPH. Then u can determine your run time

FlowVis® Flow Meter - H2flow

6. Back To Top    #6

Gph and run time have little in common. Read pool school.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Hi fatboy,
    how long you need to run it really vaires from pool to pool.
    2 hours is a good start, 4 hours is usually enough for a lot of folks.

If you have a lot of dust which blows every day, you may need to run your pump longer, for skimming purposes, than someone who love in Florida in a lush dust free environment.

John Q Farmer with a wheatfield in his backyard in Iowa may well need to run it than the guy with lots of dust blowing in.

see what I mean?

Basically, its run it enough that keeps your pool skimmed and get some decent circulation. There really are no rules beyond that.
    Thanks Divin Dave! I was really misled about this... Anyway, fix it now and don't cry about lost money that I can't get back right? I think I'll start with 4 hours because that's 20 hours less than what its been running at.
    Patrick