Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: discoloration on floor of vinyl pool

1. Back To Top    #1

discoloration on floor of vinyl pool

Hi. we recently got a new small vinyl ring pool. 15'x42" round 3400 Gal. I didn't think we put enough chlorine in to start after a week the floor became discolored. Thinking it was algae of some kind I got the FC up to 10+ for about 2 days trying to get rid of it. unfortunately a storm came through and knocked off the filter and all the water drained. So we replenished the water fresh and got the FC back to 10+ to try to get rid of the discoloration. After a week the FC has come down to 3 but the discoloration has increased slightly.

Any ideas what the discoloration is, how to get rid of it, and if it's safe to swim with it on the floor? Thanks

FC 3
    PH 7.5
    TA 120
    TH 200
    CYA 40
    15'x42" round Quick Set Ring Pool - Vinyl
    3398 Gal
    RP1000 filter
    F1000C pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: discoloration on floor of vinyl pool

If you believe you had algae in the beginning, then more than likely that's still your culprit because even though you raised your FC for a while, you didn't actually complete and pass the 3 SLAM criteria. So I would definitely keep the FC at SLAM/Shock level until you pass all 3 items. In the meantime, yes, it is safe to go in the water as long as you do not exceed your SLAM FC.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Any ideas what the discoloration is, how to get rid of it, and if it's safe to swim with it on the floor? Thanks
    A picture would be very helpful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

3398 Gal
    RP1000 filter
    F1000C pump

5. Back To Top    #5

That stuff is all over isn't it? Silly question ... but did you fill with well water?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    That stuff is all over isn't it? Silly question ... but did you fill with well water?
    city water. comes from beaver lake
    3398 Gal
    RP1000 filter
    F1000C pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay, I wanted to rule-out any metal staining. In that case, initiate/complete a SLAM and pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Definitely keep the FC at SLAM/Shock level until you pass all 3 items. In the meantime, you can still go in the water as long as you do not exceed your SLAM FC. At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed. Here is the SLAM page: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain.

Maintain that FC SLAM/Shock level, and good luck!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

that pool has a TON of wrinkles. That's gonna make it difficult to clean. I suggest you brush quite often (like twice daily to keep debris stirred up and into your filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I am in Rogers. I assume my water comes from the same lake. If it does the water here is good. Other than the normal adjustments you shouldn't have to worry about much.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'll follow the SLAM process then. thanks for the input.
    3398 Gal
    RP1000 filter
    F1000C pump