Here's my scenario. I have a very small above ground pool that currently has a CYA of about 20 ppm or maybe a little higher. If I had any straight cyanuric acid I would use it instead of dichlor to raise my CYA without increasing the chlorine level, but I'm using the dichlor for this purpose because it was free.
So far I have added 4 ounces of dichlor two separate times, once about 10 days ago and once yesterday. Each time I add this much dichlor my chlorine level goes very high -- apparently higher than my OTO test can measure. Is swimming in a pool with so much chlorine bad for human health? Or is it bad for the pool vinyl?
My son and I swam in the pool today. Although there was a very slight hint of odor from yesterday's dichlor addition we did not experience any eye or skin discomfort even though we were probably swimming at "shock" levels of chlorine. I know this is not recommended, but if we don't notice any bad effects are we doing any real damage to ourselves?