First time "slamming" have a question

rwb1

Jul 6, 2014
STILLWATER,NY
I was away for a few days and my chlorine level when I returned was @ 0....Its in the 90's here and I noticed what I thought was dirt in the pool so I jumped in and it was more like a brownish slime...I am assuming some sort of algae.
I added an algecide and raised the FC level to shock level which according to the chart was 16 with a cya level of 40ppm.

I have maintained that level ...or as close to it as I could with work and ran the auto pool cleaner two times, tested the water tonight before the addition of chlorine and got these #'s

FC=10
ph=7.5
alk=80
cya=40
cc=0

water is crystal clear ......my question is since I lost chlorine overnight, should I continue to keep the pool @ "SHOCK " level or let it come down a bit and maintain @ 5ppm like normal.
Like I said no more brown slime ...which wasn't horrible to begin with and the water is beautiful.

This is my first full season with the BBB method and I want to make sure I am doing it right.

As always thanks for the help

To pass a SLAM, you still need to pass the OLCT and have CC <=.5. I would continue just to ensure there is no doubt all algae and organic matter is gone. That OCLT is very important and the FC must be high when doing it. You sound very close though.

I was doing the OCLT wrong....I was waiting until later in the day to test, not first thing in the morning....must have missed that in "pool school".

Tested the water last night ....was a little high @ 18ppm...tested first thing this morning and it was 17ppm....Slam complete.....now just let the levels come down to normal levels and add as needed?
Another question I have is my PH never seems to fluctuate, stays pretty much @ 7.5 ish...is this normal ? I have friend who are constantly adjusting there PH.

thanks

We never recommend the use of algaecide as it tends to cause more problem with water (i.e. copper). Maintaining the proper FC/CYA ratio will keep your water algae free. You can always adjust your CYA and FC levels (together) based on the amount of sun your pool receives. But always refer to that chart. I always like to keep my FC at least 1-2 ppm over my target FC to be safe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.