Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to using chlorine bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Howard, PA

New to using chlorine bleach

First time on TFP. After 3 years of struggling to get a FC reading >1 despite high TC levels, I finally came across this site. Now that I have a good understanding of this relationship, I am attempting to finally balance the pool.

Numbers this morning (ClearCare testing system computerized water system at pool store) after 4 bags of 73% shock last night:

FC = 0.63
    TC = 7.63
    CC = 7
    pH = 7.3
    ALK = 72
    CYA = 30

In an attempt to quickly raise chlorine, I added 10 gallons of 8.25% bleach rather than more shock. 6 hrs later - still no chlorine on dip test strips (all I have at home at the moment).

Any ideas as to how much additional bleach may be required to get the FC up to shock levels (10-12 ppm)? I would like to get it there ASAP since the pool has been hazy with pink algae forming under the ladder steps.

Thanks in advance,

18X36 in-ground, 2012 install, 19,500 gal, vinyl liner, sand filter, 1 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: New to using chlorine bleach

Welcome. You're going to have to get one of our recommended test kits or it will all be guess work. Review our SLAM process in Pool School.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Buckeye AZ

I think high FC can actually bleach out the strips. You need a good test kit, especially if you plan to kill the algae, since most kits can't measure over 10.
    Pool School - Test Kits Compared

You haven't had measurable free chlorine in the pool for 3 years? How have you been chlorinating the pool up until now?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Wow, that 10 gallons should have raised your FC level to 44, so I bet it bleached out those strips you have.

I'm sure your CYA is higher than just 30, just because you put in 4 bags of "shock" (a product, not the SLAM process we recommend) which probably contained a lot of cya itself. It takes a week for CYA to show up on tests. If it didn't raise the CYA level, it raised the calcium level because granular and puck chlorine products *always* contain something else along with the chlorine. That "something else" gets a lot of folks in trouble with their water after continual use.

Get one of the two test kits we recommend, and start reading Pool School (tuition free! Detention served pool side)
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter