Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping low TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Spotsylvania Virginia

Keeping low TA?

I just completed treatment for metal staining (fill from well) and have added washing soda to raise the TA and PH. At this point I want to raise only the TA and have added 32 oz of baking soda, waited overnight to test it has had zero effect on the TA. Should I just keep adding baking soda? To get it to the recommended range of 100 I will need a lot! After reading some posts on TA, I normally do not have issues with PH and fluctuations, do I need to raise it?
    FC 7.5
    CC zero
    PH 7.2
    TA 50
    CH 250
    CYA 80
    Laurie, Spotsylvania Virginia
    35K Gal. in ground, plaster, Purex Trition DE filter. Using TF-100 test kit.
    Metal in the water BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Shallotte, NC

Re: Keeping low TA?

Whoa! Where did you get the recommended range of TA at 100???? And your CYA is a bit high, too!

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Me personally, when my PH is happy, I am happy and I don't mess too much with TA unless it's really extreme. In your case, I don't believe you need to be thinking about 100 at all. You may, through trial and error, be able to hover around 60-70 (which is what keeps my PH happy), but don't lose too much sleep over it. Every pool is different.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

You need to raise something. If you plug your numbers into poolmath, it shows a very negative CSI. You'll start etching plaster soon, if you haven't already.

I understand that with Iron in the water, you want to keep pH down. You can't do much about the water temperature, so that leaves TA and CH to play with. Experiment a little. Change each parameter on poolmath and see what happens to CSI. Then decide if you want to raise CH or TA or both to move it closer to zero. Raising CH won't push pH up, if that's a consideration.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!