Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High efficiency bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

High efficiency bleach

All the bleach that I found in two Walmart were high efficiency, I finished buying Austin pool chlorine from BJ's, is this high efficiency bleach from Wal-Mart safe for the pool?
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High efficiency bleach

You want to look at three factors:
    What is the % of sodium hypochlorite listed on the bottle? "cleaning" bleach can be 3%, regular bleach 5 or 6%, "concentrated" 8.25, and typically labelled for pool as chlorinating liquid is 10% or 12.5%. Any of the above is fine for a pool, but you should know the concentration so you can properly dose.

You do not want anything labelled as splashless or scented, or with extra whatevers.

Walmart has pretty good turnover, but if it's heavily discounted or the bottles look a bit dusty, try to decipher the date code on the bottle, usually the two digit year and the three digit day of that year. (xx15167x or similar= 167th day of 2015 as the manufacture date). Avoid anything more than a few months old, even newer for 10 or 12%.

EDIT: if they mean high efficiency as "ok for use in HE washing machines," then look closely for anything like anti-foaming or thickening agents. you don't want that either.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, is the he washing machine he, all the rest is fine but the washing machine he, was the one that stopped me for buying it, should I buy it?
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

4. Back To Top    #4

If the container looks like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Valu...fl-oz/31955545 then that is the one you want.

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought 4 gallons from Walmart 6% 128FL great value
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chyvan View Post
    If the container looks like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Valu...fl-oz/31955545 then that is the one you want.
    Even with the washing machine he label?

The corner stone of TFP

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

When it comes to bleach HE is a marketing ploy, all bleach is HE compatible.

As long as it is scentless and not splashless then it is just fine.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all

The corner stone of TFP

9. Back To Top    #9

I just saw liquid chlorine in bjs yesterday, and I think it was Austin brand 12.5% for 13.99 for 4 gallons, which is a pretty good deal. Is there a reason you stopped using it?

10. Back To Top    #10

No really, I love it, but I have a SWG, so usually I don't use bleach that often

The corner stone of TFP

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    When it comes to bleach HE is a marketing ploy, all bleach is HE compatible.

As long as it is scentless and not splashless then it is just fine.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    I agree. We use regular bleach in our HE washer all the time we it no issues.

12. Back To Top    #12

Most Walmarts have a pool section near the outdoor area and sell HTH Liquid Chlorine @10% for two gallons for $6.50 to $7, better value than most laundry bleach
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Most Walmarts have a pool section near the outdoor area and sell HTH Liquid Chlorine @10% for two gallons for $6.50 to $7, better value than most laundry bleach
    My local ace hardware has the 10% for 2/$7. The austins liquid chlorine at bjs is essentially the same price, but 12.5% concentration.

I saw you said you stopped using it, I was wondering if it was because it sat around in the store and wasn't effective or something. Just wanted to check before I go buy some.

14. Back To Top    #14

The austins at BJ is totally fine

The corner stone of TFP