Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heyward vs. jandy

1. Back To Top    #1

Heyward vs. jandy

Do you see a high failure rate in Jandy SWG systems? The one guy seemed to think Hayward was the best (Aqua plus salt system with 40k gallon cell) and the other guy that sells Jandy said to get a regular one that doesn't test the water because he sees high failure rates in the one that tests the water, but reading it seems jandy in general sucks. What do you guys think?
    Looking to build an in-ground pool in Orlando, FL. I will update my signature when we have the pool with information. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heyward vs. jandy

Hayward and Jandy are both good units. I would choose the Hayward because it gives diagnostics. Jandy is good other than the trisensors.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Hayward and Jandy are both good units. I would choose the Hayward because it gives diagnostics. Jandy is good other than the trisensors.
    Thanks. I got scared because I read some bad things about Jandy, but I don't think I should pick my pool company based on what equipment they use either. I also read bad things about Jandy heaters too.
    Looking to build an in-ground pool in Orlando, FL. I will update my signature when we have the pool with information. Thanks for any help you can give me.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The equipment should certainly be a factor in choosing a pool builder.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My trisensor failed earlier this summer during its 7th season, that was the first sensor issue I have had since I installed the AquaPure 1400 in 2009. The replacement sensor design is completely different, it now has two probes instead of the three that the original had, it also has a control module inline with the cable where you select an A or B mode depending on the board the sensor is plugging in to and it has its own flow indication. So far it has worked flawlessly, hopefully Jandy has solved their sensor issues with this latest design.
    18x36 IG Vinyl, ~25K, TF-100, Jandy 1HP 2 Speed Pump, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG,
    Hayward DE 3600 Filter, Pentair MasterTemp 200 NG Heater, DIY Install in 1990

6. Back To Top    #6

My Jandy equipment has been fantastic and my AquPure does a great job. I did replace the dreaded sensor just in the past week for the aquapure 1400 with the supposed fixed model which has gotten great reviews and so for no issues reported by anyone on this forum that i have run across. Of course I am now knocking on wood and it is still early. If I had to do it over again, I would still pick Jandy just because for me it has done a great job keeping my chlorine level very, very steady..
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

7. Back To Top    #7

Most of the time the three leading brands are comparable.

One buys these products and keeps them for a long time. Dealers sell only one brand. So its difficult to get reliable comparisons from disinterested observers.

Go to a couple of pool stores and ask about the equipment you are interested in. Unlike pool builders many sell multiple brands and can explain the differences. Now you never know if the guy you are talking to has blood flowing with chlorine or just saw his first pool yesterday but by going to a couple of places you can often gain some insight into various pieces of equipment.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Most of the time the three leading brands are comparable.

One buys these products and keeps them for a long time. Dealers sell only one brand. So its difficult to get reliable comparisons from disinterested observers.

Go to a couple of pool stores and ask about the equipment you are interested in. Unlike pool builders many sell multiple brands and can explain the differences. Now you never know if the guy you are talking to has blood flowing with chlorine or just saw his first pool yesterday but by going to a couple of places you can often gain some insight into various pieces of equipment.
    That is a good idea. I know we have two local pool stores and one is more knowledgeable than the other. The one guy has been there forever or at least since we owned a pool. So I will try that. Never thought to ask about equipment since we already had our equipment the first time I went to the store.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    The equipment should certainly be a factor in choosing a pool builder.
    But if each brand is pretty much the same, why should the brand they use factor into my decision? My issue is the one guy is 8k more expensive that uses Hayward. But if Jandy salt and heaters are truly not good it may be worth the extra money. Now we do need to go back to the cheaper one and add in the pebble surface (which will bring the price up) the 8k guy also has the SWG that tests the water and texts you when it needs salt. The lower price guy said those fail a lot and not to get it. The 8k guy says they last up to 10 years. Not sure which one to believe on that one and the only thing I could think it was that they use different brands. That Jandy ones fail more often. But it sounds like they had an issue that they have since fixed.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyB View Post
    That is a good idea. I know we have two local pool stores and one is more knowledgeable than the other. The one guy has been there forever or at least since we owned a pool. So I will try that. Never thought to ask about equipment since we already had our equipment the first time I went to the store.

- - - Updated - - -

But if each brand is pretty much the same, why should the brand they use factor into my decision? My issue is the one guy is 8k more expensive that uses Hayward. But if Jandy salt and heaters are truly not good it may be worth the extra money. Now we do need to go back to the cheaper one and add in the pebble surface (which will bring the price up) the 8k guy also has the SWG that tests the water and texts you when it needs salt. The lower price guy said those fail a lot and not to get it. The 8k guy says they last up to 10 years. Not sure which one to believe on that one and the only thing I could think it was that they use different brands. That Jandy ones fail more often. But it sounds like they had an issue that they have since fixed.
    I know a lot less than these other guys, but a swcg that texts you when you're low on salt sounds, well, useless. You really are going to add salt a lot less than you think. You'll be testing your chlorine/pH ect levels way more often than checking your salt level. I have a Jandy and no issues.
    23k gal in-ground gunite w/ spa/blower, Sheer descent, Jandy AquaPure SWCG, Pentair 2HP Pump x2, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C 399k BTU gas heater, Polaris 380/Polaris PB4-60 Pump, DE filter w/ separation tank

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

And I've had all Hayward equipment including their AquaRite T-15 SWG for ten years. With the exception of replacing my pump with a VS to save energy its all still working fine.

But in addition to which brand a pool builder uses you should be looking at which model, size, features of each individual piece of equipment. How big is the filter, VS or two speed pump, etc.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    And I've had all Hayward equipment including their AquaRite T-15 SWG for ten years. With the exception of replacing my pump with a VS to save energy its all still working fine.

But in addition to which brand a pool builder uses you should be looking at which model, size, features of each individual piece of equipment. How big is the filter, VS or two speed pump, etc.
    That stuff we are already looking at. All of them are using comparable sizes and stuff. Like we have requested variable speed from all vendors. All of them normally do VS except one who likes 2 speed. We pretty much have already eliminated that guy from the list though. It was more the brand that was different.