Murky Water

Jul 30, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Hi, Im new, I have been charged with care of my grandfathers pool this summer, due to his neighborhood policies and health. So our CYA has been on the high end in the 70's for a while so I had switched to liquid chlorine. When it got back to the 50's he said to start using the Walmart brand tabs that he has always used. After a week of excessive swimming I noticed the water turning greenish so I put in some algaecide and then waited then shocked it with granular shock. When that didn't help I tried to add a clarifying agent, which still didnt help. I have been back-washing my pump to ensure the filter stays clean: still murky. I went to the pool store which gave me some DE to put in my filter to help clean it. I found my CYA is around 70 again, so, I partially drained the pool and refilled it and it looks worse than ever I have made the proper adjustments to the pool. FC- around 10 (which I know is really high) Ph- 7.2 and CYA- back around 50. I am using the strips which I know are unreliable, but, my grandfather insists on using them and as I will be back out of state after the summer I will just go to the pool store for the free accurate readings every other day or so readings. It hasn't changed in appearance in over a week. I have been doing my best to clean and brush the walls and have been closely monitoring the levels all of which seem OK to clean it out. Does anyone have any idea what to do.

Welcome to TFP!

Your first mistake is trusting a pool store for accurate readings. You could probably do better by rolling dice. They are almost universally terrible.

10ppm chlorine isn't high for a CYA level of 70ppm, though if he has been using tabs you can just about bet that reading is way off.

You need to SLAM the pool.