Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Murky Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Murky Water

Hi, Im new, I have been charged with care of my grandfathers pool this summer, due to his neighborhood policies and health. So our CYA has been on the high end in the 70's for a while so I had switched to liquid chlorine. When it got back to the 50's he said to start using the Walmart brand tabs that he has always used. After a week of excessive swimming I noticed the water turning greenish so I put in some algaecide and then waited then shocked it with granular shock. When that didn't help I tried to add a clarifying agent, which still didnt help. I have been back-washing my pump to ensure the filter stays clean: still murky. I went to the pool store which gave me some DE to put in my filter to help clean it. I found my CYA is around 70 again, so, I partially drained the pool and refilled it and it looks worse than ever I have made the proper adjustments to the pool. FC- around 10 (which I know is really high) Ph- 7.2 and CYA- back around 50. I am using the strips which I know are unreliable, but, my grandfather insists on using them and as I will be back out of state after the summer I will just go to the pool store for the free accurate readings every other day or so readings. It hasn't changed in appearance in over a week. I have been doing my best to clean and brush the walls and have been closely monitoring the levels all of which seem OK to clean it out. Does anyone have any idea what to do.
    IG/ Vinyl
    40,000 gallon pool
    Sand Filter-- age unknown
    4 jets
    1 Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Murky Water

Welcome to TFP!

Your first mistake is trusting a pool store for accurate readings. You could probably do better by rolling dice. They are almost universally terrible.

10ppm chlorine isn't high for a CYA level of 70ppm, though if he has been using tabs you can just about bet that reading is way off.

You need to SLAM the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, How high should I keep the chlorine to consider it slammed?
    IG/ Vinyl
    40,000 gallon pool
    4 jets
    1 Skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by OBanion View Post
    Thanks, How high should I keep the chlorine to consider it slammed?
    please read the link in John's post. A SLAM is a process, not a one time addition of chlorine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you think I still have algae?
    IG/ Vinyl
    40,000 gallon pool
    4 jets
    1 Skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by OBanion View Post
    Do you think I still have algae?
    yes, I do. You have not kept the chlorine level high enough (shock level as a ratio to CYA) long enough (until you pass all three SLAM criteria).

Get a FAS-DPD test kit and follow the SLAM instructions.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

As long as you don't have slam the pool i think you have algae, can you post a picture?
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP.

How does the pool look?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter