Leaving perma-salt, do my numbers look correct?

Jul 30, 2015
Knoxville, TN
New poster but I have been reading alot. I have an above ground round pool. Dont remember the size but my test sheets say 14,500 Gallons. Going to try and verify when I get home. I bought the biggest avaliable sand filter and pump with the pool. Also going verify sizes. Got pool stored and was sold a perma-salt system. It has been in for 4 years and was impressive at keeping water clear, but I was not aware at the risks I was taking by running no Chlorine. The element has died so now I am now going to take up the TFP methods.

I have ordered the TF-100 test kit and it will arrive in next day or two, but I took a water sample to a "new to me" pool store today and here are my results.

FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 64
CH 159
CYA 0
Copper 0
TDS 1500

The pool store seemed to agree with the majority of the information I have learned from here and advised me to do the following.

1) bring up TA with 8lbs of poollife Alk Plus
2) bring up CYA with 3lbs of poollife stabalizer to reach 20ppm
3) shock with 2 jugs of 12.5% chlorine
4) run 2 cholrine tablets in my filter basket at all times I assume this is a dicholr or trichlor

From what I can figure by my research here using pool math my goals and actual plan of action are as follows

FC 5.0
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 80
CH <300
CYA 40
TDS 2,000

1)bring up TA with 54oz by weight or 44oz by volume baking soda
2)bring up CYA using the whole 4lbs stabalizer I bought at store
3)bring up FC by using one jug 121oz of 8.25% bleach I got from walmart
4)retest
5)run dicholr or trichlor to continue to add to the CYA to reach goal then move to the 12.5% cholrine to mantain FC
6)add salt

Any suggestions or corrections?

Thank You in advance.

Welcome to TFP. You are making a wise choice to do things on your own and obtain your own test kit. While we have to take those pool store tests with a grain of salt, "IF" they were to be accurate, here's what I would say:
- Assuming water is currently clear with no cloudiness or algae, immediately bring FC up to target of 5ppm, perhaps ever 7 or so with sun/heat
That's it! The other numbers are just fine - don't worry about TDS. Easy stuff.

Just never let that FC drop. Your CYA of 40 will work with that FC very well from 5-8 ...won't hurt even if you took it up to 10 once in a while. But remember, all of this is just a "what if" scenario. When you get your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, you may find ALL of those numbers to be much different. We see that happen all the time.

Welcome, and good luck!

Ahh man! Post one and I already get a demerit for not including the water clarity. HAHA. Water is currently clear.

Thanks for the response and I agree the pool store numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt. Honestly I cant believe that my CC is 0.

Buy the way my current CYA is 0 , my goal is 40.

I may have made my post confusing with 2 sets of numbers. The first set is the pool store numbers the second is my goals.

Ok, so this evening I measured the water and it is 24' round by 48" deep. Best i can tell that comes to 13,600 gallons. Sand filter says its a 27" and pump looks to be 1.5hp.

I went ahead and added about 4lbs of Alk up to raise TA, 4lbs of stabilizer to raise the CYA, and after sun went down 128oz of 12.5% chlorine. I will let this set in and see where I end up.

Unfortunately it does not look like I will be able measure CYA for about a week. When my test gets in I will measure ph, TA, FC, and CC and post results.

Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.