New pool and Hayward pro flo matrix and xstream filter but dirt problem in pool

Jul 21, 2015
Sewaren nj
I just got a 21 round above ground pool installed 9 days ago and it has been filled with water for 7. I have a temporary electric hookup and when the electrician dug the trench 5 days ago I believe dirt blew into the pool. I still have not used pool as electric should be finished today. I vacuumed the pool slowly 5 days in a row now and the dirt comes back 5 minutes after I clean the filter and turn it back on. The filter cartridge is dirty before I clean it. I tried disconnecting the return hose and run it for a minute then put it back on and dirt comes back. I even tried panty hose around skimmer basket which has stopped some dirt but not enough. I know it has to do with filter system because I left the pump off for 2 hours one day after vacuuming and pool was perfect. Any ideas to get rid of this annoying dirt? I shocked and conditioned the pool the day after filled and have put chlorine tablet in daily. Pump is running 8-12 hours a day do chemicals were tested and good. Water is crystal clear so I am sure it is dirt and not algae plus pool is brand new. Has anyone tried filter socks or automatic vacuums like Wanda the whale or diver Dan?

Welcome to TFP. Even though you are using a puck, it dissolves very slowly and may not be delivering enough chlorine into the pool. If your weather has been anything like mine, it's been hot... I mean HOT and the FC demand goes up considerably. I'm betting it is not just dirt but algae.

You're going to need to provide us with a complete set of test results that do not include high, low, good and perfect but actual numbers. Please look at my signature and read about test kits that will deliver adequate numbers that are better than pool stores. You need one.

I tested it today and the PH is 7.8 and chlorine is 6. I just added alkalinity and ph and shock yesterday. I doubt it is algae in a brand new pool and I went in the pool yesterday and wiped the spots with my hand and it is dirt. Plus if I vacuum and then turn pump off it doesn't come back until I turn it back on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.