Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is a normal frequency for adding bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is a normal frequency for adding bleach?

Have been trying to find what is considered normal maintenance for adding bleach. I just put in a pool and have been testing daily trying to get my CYA level up. CYA is now running 50, but I keep ending the day with an FC reading of 1. I am adding 1 gallon 10% bleach daily. Is this normal? The water looks great, just seams like a lot of bleach on a daily basis.
    27k gal 33' round vinyl above ground pool -- Pentair CC125 Cartridge Filter System -- 1.5HP Opti-Flo Pump -- Testing with TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is a normal frequency for adding bleach?

Welcome to the forum!

If you don't have salt water, then your Cya is fine and needs no increase.

Sounds like a little much Chlorine demand, but not drastic. What else is going on, and what does your water look like? Can you answer these, and post a set of full test results please?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are in full sun for most of the day 1 gallon a day might be right.

my pool needs 1 gallon of 8.25% in full sun (CYA 40 but bumping it to 50 to help it use less)

one thing that also helps, is if you have a non-clear solar cover, that helps keep the sun UV
    rays from burning off chlorine.

When it's overcast for multiple days in a row, my pool needs 1 gallon every 3 days like clock work.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum!

Have you looked at pool math at the top of this page yet? On the bottom it has an area for the effects of adding chemicals. Pool math says you're adding 3.7 FC daily.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

It does seem a little high. I would conduct an OCLT to see if you have anything growing. My pool was sparkly clear but I noticed a higher chlorine demand and failed OCLT. A SLAM fixed things up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

You have a big pool. In the hot OK sun. Maybe a lot of bathers some days...?

Normal daily losses of FC are aprox 2-3ppm. Adding one gallon (128oz) of 10% liquid chlorine (assuming it *still is* 10% and not degraded) will only give you 3.7ppm of FC (per PoolMath). So it doesn't seem like you're using more than expected for July to me.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry I have been away for so long, running 50 different directions.

From what I read about the OCLT test, that could be the issue. I will do an OCLT tonight and see what that says. I have been fighting algae for a couple weeks. I get it cleared up, then boom one day it is cloudy and the floor is green. It has been mostly clear, but not as sparkling as it was from the start, so my guess is that I never get all the algae killed off. Will post test results.
    27k gal 33' round vinyl above ground pool -- Pentair CC125 Cartridge Filter System -- 1.5HP Opti-Flo Pump -- Testing with TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

If you know you have algae don't bother with the OCLT, go straight to the SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Cool Re: What is a normal frequency for adding bleach?

Don't feel bad. I'm using about 3/4 of gallon of 10% per day and keep my FC at 9ish. My CYA is 75. Pool temp us 85-90 degree. 9-10 hours full sunlight. I buy my bleach 20 gallons at a time lol My pool is crystal clear. I haven't had swimmers since July 4th. 2 gallons of 10% bleach is 4.50 at the local pool supply store. I wish my PH was as easy to maintain!! That uses about a gallon a week

Thank you TFP !!
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Torchie
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    If you know you have algae don't bother with the OCLT, go straight to the SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Agreed. If you know you have algae, kill it. Kill it now. And don't neglect the hiding spots: Problem Found and Ideas needed

PS: Now you see the beauty of self-testing. You suspected something was wrong based on test results! If you just added some fixed amount of bleach every day, you would never see how much you actually need to add and you would have been blissfully unaware until one morning the whole pool is green.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

To sort of answer your original question, once my pool was more balanced, I have to add chlorine every day to two days. Also depends on the circumstances. We had a walloping great thunderstorm here this morning and tons of detritus in the pool, so I added extra to make sure and kill off anything else that might have blown in.
    ~11,250 gallon, in ground, Pebble-Tec finish, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter, Hayward Super II pump, Hayward bottom vacuum NaviGator (I call him Fred), waterfall feature, TF-100 Test Kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

I went ahead and did an evening and morning test. Looks like I finally have the algae killed.

Last night tests: cya 55, ph 7.5, ta 70, fc 8.5, cc 1
    Morning tests fc 8.5, cc .5

Water is still a little cloudy, but nearly there. I think a few more filter washes, and floor vacuum should do the trick.

Thanks for the help. It is great to be able to test and fix.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by torchie View Post
    I went ahead and did an evening and morning test. Looks like I finally have the algae killed.

Last night tests: cya 55, ph 7.5, ta 70, fc 8.5, cc 1
    Morning tests fc 8.5, cc .5

Water is still a little cloudy, but nearly there. I think a few more filter washes, and floor vacuum should do the trick.

Thanks for the help. It is great to be able to test and fix.
    You completed a SLAM in one day?

If your water is still cloudy you are not done.

What level did you raise your FC to?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

also you should do the OCLT at least 2-3 days in a row.

sometimes it will pass then not pass the next day.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

16. Back To Top    #16

I raised my FC to 15 for the last two days. Even though it passed OCLT today, I went ahead and raised it to 15 again. Will be checking everything again tonight.

I will keep testing OCLT for a couple days and see if it changes. It is getting cooler at night, so the pool is peaking at about 90 right now. Has been running 97.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by torchie View Post
    I raised my FC to 15 for the last two days. Even though it passed OCLT today, I went ahead and raised it to 15 again. Will be checking everything again tonight.

I will keep testing OCLT for a couple days and see if it changes. It is getting cooler at night, so the pool is peaking at about 90 right now. Has been running 97.
    Why did you pick 15ppm for a SLAM. For your CYA you should be SLAMing at 24ppm.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Sadly I did 15, because I was doing it from memory when I should have double checked the chart.

That being said, water is 100 crystal clear again. You guys are great.