HELP! Pump Issues

pixiedustbelly

Silver Supporter
May 28, 2015
Troy, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
This is our first year with a pool so I'm just learning the ropes. This morning I went to check on the pool & the pump sounds like it is running but the filter has ZERO pressure. The water in the pump basket was extremely hot... like steam coming out when I removed the lid and I had to dilute it with cold water before I could stick my hand in. I checked for obstructions & didn't find anything. I tried to put the pump on backwash & didn't get any water movement there either. Obviously, I just turned the pump off until the problem gets resolved.

Any idea what could be going on? We called a pool service company but they won't be out for a couple days and I'd like to know what I'm talking about before they get here. :rolleyes: Also, can I keep adding chlorine as needed even though the water is not circulating?

Thanks a bunch for any input!!!

Your pump is starving for water, there is a blockage somewhere. The hot water is cause by the pump impeller churning the water without being able to move it.
Check the skimmers for blockage. Sometimes toys or objects can get in there and not allow them to open, introducing air and starving the pump.

You can add bleach, just do some brushing to agitate the water. Better than no bleach at all while you wait.

Good Luck.

Thank you to you both!

I didn't see or feel any obstructions with my hand (I checked the behind the pump basket & under the skimmer basket). Since the pump basket stays filled with water, can I assume the obstruction is somewhere between the pump impeller & the filter? Would it be worth trying to take it apart to look before I pay $89 or more for a service call?

Water level is fine, pump lid o-ring seems to have a good seal, I don't think we have a weir plate(?) or any valves. It's a simple pool... only one skimmer and 2 returns without any fancy valves that we open & close.

The most common answer is a suction side air leak....not an obstruction (but both are possible) Read the article in Pool School on Suction Side air leaks and see if that gives you some clues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.