To Tile or Not to Tile

bswicht

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2014
Middletown, MD
I'm in a quandry. Some of the tiles on my pool (it's about 15 year old) are coming loose or buckling. I'm trying to get esimates to have the tiles fixed. Unfortunately, new tiles for my pool are not longer available. Since we're planning to sell the house next spring, my quandry is whether to replace all the tile or point out the problem with the tile to a potential buyer and give them credit to buy tile they would like. If you were buying a house with a problem pool, what would you do? Otherwise everything is great (except the 90 CYA is my water right not, but that's another quandry.)

If it was me I would fix the tile before selling. Honestly if you have problems in your home a potential buyer who is willing to take it is going to want a "deal". Basically you'll turn away people who will pay full price and attract people who are looking for bargains. A home that shows well will attract more offers than a home that needs work.

Thanks for the comments. In my search for a new house with a pool, sometimes there is a pool with the cover on (in the summer!) What's wrong with it? Surely they're not that lazy that they wouldn't get it cleaned up. So I start to wonder what else could be causing them to hide the pool.

How about using new tile wherever the old toke fell off and then using some new tile every six tiles or so (make it random) so it looks like it was part of the initial design. Then you wouldn't have to replace it all

A pool repair person who deals with small jobs came out and suggested since I'll be moving next spring that I just fix the tiles that were buckling and a some that are loose and not worry about the rest. If next spring there are further problems, we'll address those then. And he's willing to do it for under $1000. He said he's willing to do it at little profit because his company chooses service over profit.

He said he's willing to do it at little profit because his company chooses service over profit.

This doesn't pass the smell test. Might be a great guy but this statement right here is a huge red flag to me. People take the risk associated with starting a businesses for one reason, to make $$$$. Sure, they may love what they do but businesses that don't turn a profit, don't stay in business.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.