Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To Tile or Not to Tile

1. Back To Top    #1

To Tile or Not to Tile

I'm in a quandry. Some of the tiles on my pool (it's about 15 year old) are coming loose or buckling. I'm trying to get esimates to have the tiles fixed. Unfortunately, new tiles for my pool are not longer available. Since we're planning to sell the house next spring, my quandry is whether to replace all the tile or point out the problem with the tile to a potential buyer and give them credit to buy tile they would like. If you were buying a house with a problem pool, what would you do? Otherwise everything is great (except the 90 CYA is my water right not, but that's another quandry.)
    35,000 gal. IG plaster pool and spa, Hayward Pro S31-T2 sand filter, Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, auto chlorinator (not using), old Purex hi-performance pump
    TF100 and TF1005 test kits, speed spinner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To Tile or Not to Tile

If it was me I would fix the tile before selling. Honestly if you have problems in your home a potential buyer who is willing to take it is going to want a "deal". Basically you'll turn away people who will pay full price and attract people who are looking for bargains. A home that shows well will attract more offers than a home that needs work.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

3. Back To Top    #3

My experience is that new home owners don't like to fix anything. Add what it costs to retile the pool to the purchase price. Turnkey pool ready to swim.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the comments. In my search for a new house with a pool, sometimes there is a pool with the cover on (in the summer!) What's wrong with it? Surely they're not that lazy that they wouldn't get it cleaned up. So I start to wonder what else could be causing them to hide the pool.
    35,000 gal. IG plaster pool and spa, Hayward Pro S31-T2 sand filter, Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, auto chlorinator (not using), old Purex hi-performance pump

5. Back To Top    #5

How about using new tile wherever the old toke fell off and then using some new tile every six tiles or so (make it random) so it looks like it was part of the initial design. Then you wouldn't have to replace it all
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

6. Back To Top    #6

A pool repair person who deals with small jobs came out and suggested since I'll be moving next spring that I just fix the tiles that were buckling and a some that are loose and not worry about the rest. If next spring there are further problems, we'll address those then. And he's willing to do it for under $1000. He said he's willing to do it at little profit because his company chooses service over profit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bswicht View Post
    He said he's willing to do it at little profit because his company chooses service over profit.
    This doesn't pass the smell test. Might be a great guy but this statement right here is a huge red flag to me. People take the risk associated with starting a businesses for one reason, to make $$$$. Sure, they may love what they do but businesses that don't turn a profit, don't stay in business.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100