Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slowly going green, advice wanted please

1. Back To Top    #1

Slowly going green, advice wanted please

Hello, Just a little background. We purchased a 18x52 intex 3 years ago. I realize now that my test kit was not proper at that time, and honestly neither was my pool stores. My pool 3 years ago went this aweful green. I tested and had my pool store test it, and both test showed my numbers were great. They told me that a little green was not going to hurt. Well it was AWEFUL, no one wanted to swim.
    Fast forward...after that ordeal we finally put it back up this year. I found a proper test kit TF-100, but I'm starting to go green again, and I'm in panick mode. I would really love some help figuring this out. I also feel incompetent when it comes to the pool calculator...I guess I don't fully understand how to use it

Anyway here are my numbers

FC 4.5
    CC .5
    TA 300 This number blew my mind
    PH 7.6
    CYA 40

Please let me know if I need to supply any additional information. Thank you for your time!
    18x52" Intex Above Ground w/ Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Slowly going green, advice wanted please

Hello and welcome! Glad to hear you got the best test kit out there. So let's get started:
    - Green means you need to SLAM: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. You must follow those directions carefully.
    - Important for SLAM: Lower PH to 7.2; your CYA is fine; and stock-up on regular liquid bleach.
    - You will use the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and Poolmath calculator during your SLAM, so keep these handy.

At the same time, be familiar with Pool School - Recommended Levels and Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals once you pass your SLAM process.

If you have any more questions, please let us know. Also, take lots of pics before, during, and after the SLAM! You'll be amazed.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Slowly going green, advice wanted please

That is a big TA number. Test your tap water to see what it is and get some more test practice just in case. There are also links to videos of the tests on
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach