Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added 58% Calcium Hypo - pool went cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Added 58% Calcium Hypo - pool went cloudy

The pool has been on the Clorox bleach only diet for about 5 weeks. It looked great. My CH was at 225 and I want to get it up to 300/350 range. Since I have several left over pounds of Calcium Hypochlorite 57.8% I thought I would just use that for a few days instead of Clorox to treat the pool and raise the CH. I only added 2 lbs and while I can still see the bottom of my pool it went cloudy for about 24-36 hours. Is that to be expected since it really hasn't seen anything but bleach for 5 weeks? Also, is there CYA in Calcium Hypo? Thanks.
    20'x40'; 30,000G outdoor/in-ground; Gunite/Plaster (May 2005); DE Waterway 60sf grid (grid new'13); Pentair WhisperFlo Model WFE-28 2hp; TF-100 w/SpeedStir; 1 main drain / 1 main return; 2 skimmers; 3 in-line wall returns; RayVac cleaner; Manual 7-mil clear solar cover; morning & afternoon sun 'till 3:30 pm; Then shade; Well - no restrictions;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added 58% Calcium Hypo - pool went cloudy

Probably, Calcium Carbonate?

3. Back To Top    #3

This morning I'm at:
    FC = 14.5
    CC = 0.00
    pH = 7.8 (I'd like to lower it, but I don't know if accurate due to high FC)
    TA = 170
    CH = 225
    CYA = 30
    20'x40'; 30,000G outdoor/in-ground; Gunite/Plaster (May 2005); DE Waterway 60sf grid (grid new'13); Pentair WhisperFlo Model WFE-28 2hp; TF-100 w/SpeedStir; 1 main drain / 1 main return; 2 skimmers; 3 in-line wall returns; RayVac cleaner; Manual 7-mil clear solar cover; morning & afternoon sun 'till 3:30 pm; Then shade; Well - no restrictions;

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, probably a cloud of calcium.... you really need to get that TA down, some....probably by half or more. Why so high a chlorine level? You can be pretty sure that the pH is not accurate and won't be until your Cl is below 10.0.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pretty common phenomenon.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Richard thanks for the link. I should have figured it would be out there...I'm sure there's not much you guys haven't seen by this point.

ewkearns...TA too high? Okay. I just remembered that I typically target 150 bc the "pool store" kind of set that number in my head years ago. I now see it should be in the 70-90 range. Regarding pH though; once it FC comes down tomorrow or next day...is 7.8 okay for plaster as it notes on recommended levels; or I see a lot of forums where people are targeting more the 7.2 range.