Houston Pool Builder on the run . . .

Here is the text from the video they ran last night. You can see the video by following the link.

CYPRESS, Texas -

It was supposed to be a way for the Linda and Richard Comeaux' family to get together in the summer without having to leave their backyard.

The Cypress couple adopted their great-nephew Jamon, who suffers from several disabilities as a result of being shaken as a baby.

The 5-year-old is blind and cannot walk, but he can exercise his legs by swimming.

In May, the family decided to put in a pool and entered into a contract with Bellar Pools.

"This was not a luxury for us, it was a necessity," said Linda Comeaux, who took out a loan to pay for Jamon's pool.

Two months later, all Comeaux has is a concrete-lined hole in her backyard with no plumbing or equipment to the pool, and several other components left unfinished.

She said they paid Bellar Pools nearly $40,000 for the work that was done and for weeks she's not been able to get in touch with anyone from the company.

Channel 2 Investigates has been contacted by several homeowners who said they paid tens of thousands of dollars to Bellar Pools only to be left with incomplete jobs. All of them are having trouble getting other contractors to finish the work.

The Houston Better Business Bureau has received 11 complaints about the company since June detailing the same scenario.

Woodlands homeowner Jeff Bateman paid Bellar pools $65,000 in April, but without equipment or finishing work the pool is not the backyard paradise that he'd envisioned.

Bateman, Comeaux and others have also filed criminal complaints with the Harris County District Attorney's Consumer Fraud Division.

"I have a pool for mosquitos and frogs," said Bateman, who is now being sent letters from subcontractors who worked on his home saying they have not been paid for work.

Under Texas law, a subcontractor is allowed to place a lien on a homeowner's property for unpaid bills.

"The concrete I've paid for it, but they are going to ask me for money again. I'm going to have to pay for that or they're going to put a lien on my house," said Bateman, who estimates the total bill for his pool will be more than $100,000.

Calls and Facebook messages to Bellar pools owner Jay Bellar were unreturned, and his northwest Houston store appeared to be cleared out with computers missing from desks.

No one answered the door at his Cypress home and neighbors said they saw moving vans in the last few weeks.

Channel 2 Investigates contacted Bellar's son Jared on Facebook. Jared Bellar, who homeowners say was the project manager on their pools, said that his father closed the business and left town with Lisa Hileman, who was also involved in the company. Hileman lists "owner at Bellar pools" on her Facebook profile.

Channel 2 Investigates could not get in contact with Hileman at her Tomball home, by phone or via Facebook.

Homeowners who contacted Channel 2 said they cannot file civil suits against Bellar Pools because there is nowhere to serve the paperwork.

The company's website had been taken down by Friday.

In the last year, the IRS has filed several court cases against Jay Bellar for unpaid taxes.

The Harris County District Attorney's Office said it has received eight complaints about Bellar Pools, but would not say whether it is investigating.

This was a huge fear of mine! My bosses pool was built 6-7 years ago - turned out beautiful - but his was the LAST one his PB finished before going out of business and leaving everyone hanging with unfinished pools. So scary!!! This fear played a HUGE part into my PB choice!

My heart breaks for these folks - I can't imagine if I was sitting here with a frog infested gunite shell - and contractors coming to me for money that I have already paid and they didn't get. UGH!

Happened here in Tucson with company licensee of Premier Pools (see HERE) but I believe the open pool jobs eventually got closed out and completed but only after a very long time and lots of hassles.

This is the reason why you demand references and ask to speak to some of the subcontractors that will be used on a job. The subs will tell you straight away if the PB is a stand-up guy or someone they don't know. If the PB refuses to give references (for completed, not current jobs) or subs, then you definitely walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how it's done in other states, but in Arizona we have a Registry of Contractors (ROC) that acts as the licensing body for contractors in the state. You can hire non-ROC providers but the risk is on you. If the contractor is a member of the ROC then there is a Recovery Fund available to homeowners for damages. It's certainly not perfect but it helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is just horrible. Those poor people :( That's why it's of the utmost importance to get references, contact those references, check licenses, check the state's attorney general for complaints, check the local courts for any court cases against the PB, etc.

We are lucky that our PB was and is a real standup guy and totally honest. I just hope he never retires.

Not sure how it's done in other states, but in Arizona we have a Registry of Contractors (ROC) that acts as the licensing body for contractors in the state. You can hire non-ROC providers but the risk is on you. If the contractor is a member of the ROC then there is a Recovery Fund available to homeowners for damages. It's certainly not perfect but it helps.

went to that link and found the unlicenced contractors, 7 had "pool" in the names

Unlicensed Contractor Violations

went to that link and found the unlicenced contractors, 7 had "pool" in the names

Unlicensed Contractor Violations

Again, persons can offer services without an ROC license number but they are required by law to disclose that they are unlicensed and they are strictly limited in the scope of work they can perform. Examples would be people engaging in painting or someone doing plumbing repair work that only covers fixes to original installations but not new installations. So the typical "handyman" is not required to be ROC licensed.

Why anyone would ever engage someone in a pool build who is not AZ-ROC license/bonded/insured is beyond me.

Once again, not sure how other states do it but AZ is pretty strict about this stuff and all the contractors that are ROC licensed are pretty vocal to potential customers about not using unlicensed workers.

Wow this is just horrible. I agree with 440dodge that, "If there is any law, it should be that payment must be made directly from the homeowner to the subcontractor."

Paying the middleman, and relying on him to pay the subcontractors needs to be stopped because if the middleman doesn't pay them, yes when/IF caught he will go to jail, and be forced to pay restitution-(which will be like trying to get blood out of a turnip), but in the meantime, it places the homeowners in a terrible predicament, and leaves them with a huge financial burden which could cost them their homes, etc.

IMO the contractors should not have that much control over anyone else's life because if they fail to do what they are suppose to do then the homeowners are the ones who get left holding the bag, and paying, and paying, and paying, for the contractor's dishonesty.

I found out a long time ago to not pay the person performing the service a dime until the job is complete. I'm not sure how the contracts on pools are written, but when possible, that is a really good rule to follow, and prevents getting burned, (as often), in the process.

My heart truly breaks for all these people. I hope they catch the contractor, and he's carrying a suitcase containing all the money they've paid him, so they can maybe get their money back soon, and get the subcontractors paid.

When we had the concrete poured for our garage I paid the truck that brought the concrete and paid the guys who did the work for smoothing it. I was not going to take a chance of them not being paid. I also get a great price since there was no middle man. Just me making calls and snoopervising with my BIG German Shepard by my side LOL

Kim

I found out a long time ago to not pay the person performing the service a dime until the job is complete. I'm not sure how the contracts on pools are written, but when possible, that is a really good rule to follow, and prevents getting burned, (as often), in the process.

Unfortunately no one will build you a pool if you don't want to pay until the end. Pool contractors and even large home remodeling contractors have "drafts" which you must pay at specific times during the construction phase. When they reach a milestone you make the next payment. This is how it works and it is industry standard. What I do think and wish I would have asked for with my builder is prior to making the next draft they are required to show payment for the previous phase to all subs in writing. That way you are protected before you submit more payments.

For example they just finished the gunite section of my pool contract and just yesterday I had to pay for the deck portion. What would have been good is to get the gunite sub's release before paying the deck portion saying they were paid in full. Same when I paid the gunite payment it would have been nice to get the digging sub's release prior to paying for the gunite. (With my builder I pay for the next step right before they start it).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.