Cloudy Pool

Jul 10, 2015
Crosby, TX
Hi -

I am a second year pool owner, last year wasn't a good year with the pool. This year is a little better but not much. I had been going to pool stores and spending lots of money on chemicals. This is the first time I post to this site. I have read through some of the different sections and have learned a lot. I had a type of algae in my pool, I had gotten a chemical (don't remember what is was) from the pool store. I used that and followed the directions the pool the turned cloudy blue with a hint of green. The next day my neighbor told me about this site. I then followed that procedure with Slam. After a about two weeks I have managed to stabilize and maintain the chemical levels (I think). The pool is cloudy blue. I have used clarifier and that has not helped to get rid of the cloudiness. I know that a different test kit is recommend but here is the test results from what I currently have.
Chlorine & Bromine 3-6
pH 7.8
Total Alkalinity 190
Total Hardness 390
Cyanuric Acid 50

Welcome to TFP!

Without a FAS-DPD test kit you can not SLAM your pool. The chlorine test in your kit is not accurate enough, nor does it read high enough to properly chlorinate your pool during a SLAM.

You may be close, but you need the accuracy to finish it up.

Just making sure you understand what everyone is saying...The TC number you are reporting is suspect, because only the two recommended by the TFP community can give you and us an accurate measurement of FC above 5. Also, giving us only the TC number doesn't tell us how much chlorine is "free" and how much is chlorinates. A SLAM involves maintaining FC at shock levels often for several days, so the only way to achieve and manage a true SLAM the TFP way is to have one of those kits before continuing a SLAM.

Usually forum experts recommend going into a maintenance phase while waiting on your kit; maybe a jug of 8.25% or equivalent every evening. But we're trying to figure out a "best guess" on your current FC level before we can give advice on how to proceed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.