Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Pool

Hi -

I am a second year pool owner, last year wasn't a good year with the pool. This year is a little better but not much. I had been going to pool stores and spending lots of money on chemicals. This is the first time I post to this site. I have read through some of the different sections and have learned a lot. I had a type of algae in my pool, I had gotten a chemical (don't remember what is was) from the pool store. I used that and followed the directions the pool the turned cloudy blue with a hint of green. The next day my neighbor told me about this site. I then followed that procedure with Slam. After a about two weeks I have managed to stabilize and maintain the chemical levels (I think). The pool is cloudy blue. I have used clarifier and that has not helped to get rid of the cloudiness. I know that a different test kit is recommend but here is the test results from what I currently have.
    Chlorine & Bromine 3-6
    pH 7.8
    Total Alkalinity 190
    Total Hardness 390
    Cyanuric Acid 50
    24' x 54" - 18K gal. - AG vinyl liner - 1.5 Hp pump Pentair 22" tank Zeolite
    TF - 100 test kit - April 2014 - Crosby, TX

Thank you, Ree-Ree

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Without a FAS-DPD test kit you can not SLAM your pool. The chlorine test in your kit is not accurate enough, nor does it read high enough to properly chlorinate your pool during a SLAM.

You may be close, but you need the accuracy to finish it up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I ordered the recommended test kit and here are my results.

TC - 36.5
    CH - 750
    TA - 170
    CYA - 60
    24' x 54" - 18K gal. - AG vinyl liner - 1.5 Hp pump Pentair 22" tank Zeolite
    TF - 100 test kit - April 2014 - Crosby, TX

Thank you, Ree-Ree

4. Back To Top    #4

I will allow someone more experienced in water chemistry to reply, but I believe you should re-test. Some of these numbers seem off the charts.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

5. Back To Top    #5

welcome To TFP Ree Ree,

I agree with txnole, the numbers seem way off. Which test kit are you using ?
    If it is the TF100 there extended test instructions here http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Kit-Directions

If you have any test questions feel free to ask
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Please explain how you got the TC number (we care about the FC and CC numbers).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just making sure you understand what everyone is saying...The TC number you are reporting is suspect, because only the two recommended by the TFP community can give you and us an accurate measurement of FC above 5. Also, giving us only the TC number doesn't tell us how much chlorine is "free" and how much is chlorinates. A SLAM involves maintaining FC at shock levels often for several days, so the only way to achieve and manage a true SLAM the TFP way is to have one of those kits before continuing a SLAM.

Usually forum experts recommend going into a maintenance phase while waiting on your kit; maybe a jug of 8.25% or equivalent every evening. But we're trying to figure out a "best guess" on your current FC level before we can give advice on how to proceed.
    7600 gallon; 18'X54" round; vinyl; sand filter and 110V pump, 2-speed.
    Near Cookeville, TN--1/2-way between Nashville--Knoxville along I-40; Highland Rim part of the Appalachian Plateau (we call the Cumberland Plateau for the southern half of this geological region).