Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First pool, gettin started, could use some help

1. Back To Top    #1

First pool, gettin started, could use some help

Hey, I've checked out the forum a bit and it's really cool how you all willingly help us new guys out. Hoping I can leverage some of your collective expertise. I put some of the details of my pool in my signature line.

Anyway, I just bought a house with a pool and I'd like to take care of it myself. Generally speaking, the pool looked great when I got here. Very clear, no algae and no visible issues. That said, I wanted to stay on top of it, so before I found this forum, I went to the local pool place (Leslie's), had my water tested and did what they told me.

Initial test results from Leslies:
    FAC 0 ppm
    TAC 0 difference
    Salt 3600 ppm
    CH 200 ppm
    CYA 0 ppm
    TA 50 ppm
    pH 7.8
    Pho 2500
    Temp 70

So, they had me do the following, which I did. Add 8lbs of Alkalinity Up, 1 bag of PPP (Chlorine). The 2 1/2 gal of conditioner, then 3L of PHOSfree over three days time. After all that, the pool got considerably cloudier and I just tested the water again. These are the results from the TF100 test kit.

Cl 5
    Br 10
    pH 7.8
    FC: 5ppm
    CC: No
    CH: 350 ppm
    TA: 90
    CYA: 30 (33 to be exact)

Looking for any recommended action to take at this point?

I have some additional questions about the pool system itself, i.e. pool heater which isn't heating spa to higher temps and the filter itself that seems old and on it's last leg, but I'd like to get the chemicals/pool water figured out first and I think you all have advised to keep it simple each post.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

-- McLovin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks,
    McLovin

12,500 gal, In ground, salt water, gunite/pebble, Jandy CL580 pool/spa filter, aqua pure PLC1400, Jandy LITE 2 heater, Aqualink RS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First pool, gettin started, could use some help

Nice pool
    If you're using the SWG for your chlorination needs, you'll need to raise your CYA level to about 70. I know that sounds like a lot but in the hot Georgia sun along with the way SWG's work, you need that. No more. Just that 70. Use the PoolMath app at the top of this page to help you determine how much CYA to add to the pool. Read the directions on how to add CYA in Pool School.

Don't look at the "bromine" side of that test block. You've got a chlorine pool, not a bromine pool.

Otherwise all looks good

Oh yeah- STAY OUTTA THE POOL STORE! They'll have you buying unnecessary stuff like phosphate removers and such... save your money and buy a pool toy instead.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Yippee...will do that. One question - after, or while adding adding the stabilizer (figure I might do it with sock in skimmer), can you swim or should you wait?

Thanks again.

--McLovin
    Thanks,
    McLovin

12,500 gal, In ground, salt water, gunite/pebble, Jandy CL580 pool/spa filter, aqua pure PLC1400, Jandy LITE 2 heater, Aqualink RS

4. Back To Top    #4

Stabilizer can go in right away. No problems.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Swim!

Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

You know .... your "before & after" test results are EXACTLY why we tell new members to not trust pool stores. That always amazes me. Glad you got your TF-100!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys. Just finished adding stabilizer and seems to have worked. Tested water and it's at 60. Not sure if I waited long enough to test, so will test again tomorrow. I added crystals straight into the pool, spreading it out, and it took a while (and a lot of brushing around) for it to dissolve.

Next, I have a question concerning the heater. It's a Jandy LITE2, pretty old I think. When we first got the house and tried it out, it heated the spa to almost 100 degrees. Since then, it will only heat to about 94. So it's working, just not well. Any ideas or recommendations? I'm not opposed to replacing it if I have to, but prior to that, I want to make sure it's not something simple, or obvious to you all that I should do to fix it.

Thanks again for your help.

-- McLovin
    Thanks,
    McLovin

8. Back To Top    #8

Whoa! I'm nervous for ya now... granular CYA takes a week to show up on a test, liquid only takes a day. Which one did you use? How positive were you about that initial CYA reading you mentioned ("33") above???

I sooooo want to hear later that you didn't overshoot and end up with too much CYA in the water, y'hear?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

I used granular. I'm pretty confident about the initial reading...I had tested in a couple days prior and it was around the same...

- - - Updated - - -

Some photos of the heater...

Photos by Mike McAbee - Google Photos

- - - Updated - - -

If you could, please let me know if it's safe, or not, to swim in the pool at this point...Or how long you recommend I should wait. Thanks again!
    Thanks,
    McLovin

10. Back To Top    #10

GO Swimming!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I have the same heater, unfortunately, the pool was left alone for a few years and the heat exchanger is disintegrating from the inside out. I have it on bypass because it spews chunks of metal into the pool whenever I tried to use it. Yuck!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir