Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing CYA

Moderator note - moved from here: Testing CYA - Just venting...

Interesting reading, and a bit shocked last post is over 6 years old.

I am having issues with this test. I want to make sure the dot is completely invisible, so I strain my eyes, and every time I believe I see the dot, I add more to the tube.

That said, I do believe the CYA has been too low, as my FC has falling quickly in this TX sun.

As far as I can tell, my CYA is now at about 60 ppm, perhaps upper 50's. Since I have an SWG, I've added another canister of liquid instant conditioner.

Hopefully tomorrow night, it will be above 70 ppm.

My cell has been running in shock mode for a week, but I reduced it to 80% yesterday. I added some liquid chlorine, and today my FC was at 9 ppm, which I know is higher than recommended, but I expect that to slowly come down.

Now to a question I'm sure has been asked before - is there no easier way to test the CYA?

Thanks,

Ole
    Specs: IG plaster (≈35K Gallons) SWG (Pentair IntelliChlor)
    Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair 2HP Main Pump + Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump
    Please forgive me if above question is stupid, but my (current) knowledge about chemistry is about the same as my ability to fly!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing CYA

Sorry to say, that is the accurate CYA test available.

Be sure to measure your CYA additions as you don't want to go too high.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

If you're very unsure of your ability to read the CYA test, there actually is a bottle of testing fluid that is exactly 50ppm. You buy it from TFTestkits.net and it allows you to see how the dot looks when it disappears at 50. I personally think the bottle is too big, enough for a lot of folks to practice on, but hey, it didn't break my budget so it was nice to get that bit or reassurance that I'm seeing it right.

Just a thought
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    If you're very unsure of your ability to read the CYA test, there actually is a bottle of testing fluid that is exactly 50ppm. You buy it from TFTestkits.net and it allows you to see how the dot looks when it disappears at 50. I personally think the bottle is too big, enough for a lot of folks to practice on, but hey, it didn't break my budget so it was nice to get that bit or reassurance that I'm seeing it right.

Just a thought
    Thanks for the info - I was not aware of that. I will order such a bottle right away.

How long will the content of the bottle stay at 50 ppm?

Thanks,

Ole
    Specs: IG plaster (≈35K Gallons) SWG (Pentair IntelliChlor)
    Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair 2HP Main Pump + Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump
    Please forgive me if above question is stupid, but my (current) knowledge about chemistry is about the same as my ability to fly!

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know ... I'll test mine out again today and see if its still 50. Its a couple of years old.

This is the link to order it. Its called "CYA Standard Solution" - TFTestkits.net
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought the 50ppm solution as well to see what it's really supposed to be at 50.

What I noticed is that you still see some darkness in the dot, but you cannot see the complete circle of the dot.

so basically when the dot loses it's round shape clearly but you still see some of it, you are there.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.