Let's talk decking

Have you priced it and compared with other options? We paid $8.00 a square foot installed
Surprised to hear of the low cost of travertine in some places. They want a premium for it here vs concrete. If I recall the sheet correctly it was over double. I think the installation methods can vary greatly though correct? Some will install a full concrete base and lay the travertine on it vs some installing just an outer footing and then tamping and laying on top vs just laying a base material and tamping?

Surprised to hear of the low cost of travertine in some places. They want a premium for it here vs concrete. If I recall the sheet correctly it was over double. I think the installation methods can vary greatly though correct? Some will install a full concrete base and lay the travertine on it vs some installing just an outer footing and then tamping and laying on top vs just laying a base material and tamping?

Yes I believe I saw it was really expensive when I looked. I'm shocked at the $8-10 price

Martinkennedy, that's a great price. How did you manage it? Did you buy the travertine separately and have your own guy install it? I've heard the different colors come in different prices, but the quality is the same. We might need to look into travertine if the price is good enough to give us the coolness we are looking for.

This is a great thread! Very informative.

Next week we are about to get what the builder calls "spray deck custom overlay." Anyone had experience with this? I thought it was supposed to be like cool deck and that it would be cooler I the sun, but we picked it out so long ago I've forgotten what they told me about it.

85bed428820cde6f71bfd241e5280b13.jpg

Or

36f1cb5917d891b84182dbb68fa6fe5c.jpg

Travertine, at least here in AZ, is not that much more expensive than other options.. We are paying 9.50 / sqft for 2nd level upgrade Mexican travertine. This is almost like marble and, most importantly, no pitting! Maybe it is that way in AZ and more expensive elsewhere.. not sure. We are also putting in 1500+ sqft.. so that may be another factor in the pricing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our PB finished sealing our rock salt decking and put something called sharkbite mixed in with the sealant. It gives more grip to the decking besides sealing the color. Was just over 100 yesterday and the decking was fine to walk on barefoot, and had grip while wet also.

The picture above looks like a stencil type application. A base coat is applied to the concrete often white, then a special tape is used to form what later becomes the joints. A coating is sprayed on, then stained. The tape is pulled revealing what looks like a grout joint and mimics a stamp overlay at much less cost. The deck is then sealed, glass beads or silica sand are often used to make surface slip resistant. Spray deck is often the most affordable, and the easiest to keep new looking longest, after a couple of years a good de-greasing and pressure washing along with a coat of color seal and deck will look brand new again.

It's only money, get the travertine. You can always make more money and forgo vacations.
We went with concrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.