Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk decking

1. Back To Top    #1

Let's talk decking

We are contracted for spray deck but was shown this by my builder and man it's pretty

I went and saw it today and just as pretty in person BUT it was scorching hot on my feet. Like don't stand on it or it will give you 2nd degree burns.

My PB said that spray deck is just as hot now that there is no asbestos in it. Is that true? I don't want a deck that is beautiful but you can't walk on it.

Need advice
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Let's talk decking

That looks like a stamped pattern. Is it stamped concrete or a vinyl over lay pattern? When you say spray deck, what are you referring to? Do you mean a textured vinyl in a Spanish lace (knock down) finish? If both are vinyl overlays except for color they will both be the same as far as heat.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

That pic looks like stamped, which is what I wanted to put on my deck...until my PB told me not to waste my time, unless I like really hot feet mixed with a slippery surface. She said she gets mostly negative feedback from the ones they've installed.
    36 x 16 IG, SWG, FAFCO Solar Heating System, WetEdge Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure, 8.5' - 3.5' depth, 6' S.R. Smith Flyte-Deck II Dive Stand, Interfab X-Stream slide, 27k gallons, doggy tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers, 2.75 Hayward Tristar pump, Hayward 425 cart filter, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 light, Dolphin Z5

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes that is stamped concrete. Kool deck will have a lower tem than concrete.
    http://mortex.com/products/kd.html

In my experience in the north tx area the above products run 8-9 per sq ft. I decided to go with travertine. It also is much cooler than concrete, in my opinion looks great and is not too much more expensive. I am spending about 10 per ft for travertine installed.
    Owner Builder; Under construction, 17K Gallons SWG IG Geometric; 31X20'; 600sf; 104ft perim; depth 4'-6'. Sun-shelf; bubblers; sheer descents; Dolphin M400; Pentair Intelliflo XF; Clean and Clear 520; Easytouch 8; IC40; 2 color LEDs; TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

I have rock salt finished concrete with a "sand" color hardener. It is zero maintenance after three years and cooler than any other surface around my pool like coping paths rocks, boulders, etc. Still warm, but jump off it hot. We jump off coping to the pool deck. And we didn't pay any extra, it was one of the "regular" finishes.

Pics in my build thread in my sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DFWguy View Post

In my experience in the north tx area the above products run 8-9 per sq ft. I decided to go with travertine. It also is much cooler than concrete, in my opinion looks great and is not too much more expensive. I am spending about 10 per ft for travertine installed.
    This!
    There is not much difference in pricing between Kool Deck and Travertine. We are putting in travertine and it is amazingly cool(er) in the AZ heat (110+). Can walk barefoot for 20-30 feet with no issues.. We also have 'Phoenix' (Belgard brand) pavers on the side of the house where I can't put my foot on.. it'll probably melt my sole if I walk even 5 ft!
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

This actually looks similar to what I have on my in closed porch, and if it is, it is beautiful But, I agree with ted above it will be very slippery. I had a nice wipeout on mine back in March because of the humidity causing it to be only slightly wet, but when it's being mopped, etc. it's like being on an ice skating rink. I'd certainly want to wet a piece of it down to see before putting it around a pool, and spending all that money on something that if it's like what I have, it is an accident waiting to happen.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

8. Back To Top    #8

It's stamped concrete. Spray deck is a brand I think
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by DFWguy View Post

I was told you can't do Kool deck anymore due to asbestos

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tedujam View Post
    That pic looks like stamped, which is what I wanted to put on my deck...until my PB told me not to waste my time, unless I like really hot feet mixed with a slippery surface. She said she gets mostly negative feedback from the ones they've installed.
    Didn't even think about the slipperiness of it

Ok mind made up. Going with spray deck. Not as pretty but think it will work for us

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

It's always better to be safe than sorry for sure. LOL Just decorate with a lot pretties around the pool, and no one will even look down.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

12. Back To Top    #12

Another vote for travertine, but if you really want to cut the temp, I suggest a Florida-style pool enclosure. It cuts our temp 10-15 degrees. Pics in sig.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

13. Back To Top    #13

Travertine has to be the answer. I put in 3,000 sq.ft.

14. Back To Top    #14

No way can I afford travertine.

15. Back To Top    #15

We really wanted pavers or travertine; pavers were too hot and when we visited someone with travertine around their pool we asked if we could splash some water on the decking and for the type of usage we have around our pool it was too slippery for us. So we ended-up with spray deck. Third choice but it's growing on us, we can walk around barefoot on it in 100+ degree weather, don't have to locate our flip flops when we get out, don't have to worry about a kid or drunk (probably more of the later) slipping and falling so easily etc.

So for us it's working, we're no shoes people, it kind of looks like sand so we make believe we're in a Corona commercial.

If you do go spray deck make sure they leave you with at least a gallon or two extra, you're going to need it for touch-ups. Be careful putting any mats on it like a grill mat until it's fully cured. We're about 6 weeks in in and I think we're just now getting cured. Also know depending how much of a deck sheriff you're willing to be you're going to have to redo it in 4 - 5 years and I think that's if you're on top of it. Pavers would have been so much easier and cheaper in the long run . . .
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    We really wanted pavers or travertine; pavers were too hot and when we visited someone with travertine around their pool we asked if we could splash some water on the decking and for the type of usage we have around our pool it was too slippery for us. So we ended-up with spray deck. Third choice but it's growing on us, we can walk around barefoot on it in 100+ degree weather, don't have to locate our flip flops when we get out, don't have to worry about a kid or drunk (probably more of the later) slipping and falling so easily etc.

So for us it's working, we're no shoes people, it kind of looks like sand so we make believe we're in a Corona commercial.

If you do go spray deck make sure they leave you with at least a gallon or two extra, you're going to need it for touch-ups. Be careful putting any mats on it like a grill mat until it's fully cured. We're about 6 weeks in in and I think we're just now getting cured. Also know depending how much of a deck sheriff you're willing to be you're going to have to redo it in 4 - 5 years and I think that's if you're on top of it. Pavers would have been so much easier and cheaper in the long run . . .
    Do you mind sharing a picture and telling me what color it is. Thanks so much!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by amandahein3 View Post
    Do you mind sharing a picture and telling me what color it is. Thanks so much!
    Baja Sand

SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

18. Back To Top    #18

We have stamped concrete up here in the Midwest and love it. Not as hot up here as in Texas so it is no problem. When you seal it you have to make sure they add "Shark Grip" additive to the sealant which will make it less slippery.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    Baja Sand

That isn't one of our options. Do companies change the name like mattress companies do? Lol

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by amandahein3 View Post
    That isn't one of our options. Do companies change the name like mattress companies do? Lol
    I'm sure your company calls it something else. I would recommend paying the extra money and getting the version with the higher Total Solar Reflectance; standard Baja Sand was 46.2 TSR and the version we got (Reflecto Seal) has a TSR of 61.8 or in other words it's roughly 15% more reflect-ant (is that a word) or in other words cooler than standard. They claim the Reflecto Seal version was developed by the army for vehicles in the desert or something like that, I bought into the bull#$&% so who knows, seems awfully cool to us.

Again spray deck wasn't our first choice but after walking on our driveway pavers in the sun (HOT HOT HOT) and not wanting drunks suing me for slipping and smacking their head this is what we went with. Imagine yourself on the tanning ledge sitting on an Adirondack chair with a cooler of Coronas next to you, do you think you're at the beach LOL.

Good luck, shoot any additional questions my way. Oh, one last thing, the lighter colors are a PITA to keep clean and shows every &$*# spot and bird dropping or squished baby lizard that your grandson accidentally stepped on . . . or at least that what he claims . . .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast