Valve Types

Jul 1, 2012
Houston, TX
I did an admittedly brief search but didn't find much. My question is what type of valve is the standard Jandy diverter valve? Is it simply a ball valve just like the ball valves you can get at Lowes? The reason I ask is that my builder used what I'll call the "standard" Jandy type diverter valve for all my equipment at the pad. For whatever reason on my two lion head fountains he chose to put a ball valve at the back of the column that each lion is mounted on. The purpose of the ball valves on the lions is to balance the flow going to each one. In my experience with aquariums ball valves are great for off/on but very poor at regulating flow. On an aquarium I've always used a globe or gate valve for precise flow control. I thought I might replace these ball valves with Jandy valves but those seem to behave an awful lot like the standard Lowes ball valve. What would work best for precise control of the flow?

Jandy type valves are rotary gate valves, the ball valves are better at control than the Jandy type valves are. Now, I like the Jandy type valves better in most cases because they are full port valves, so they have less head loss when full open than the ball valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.