Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's the correct way to measure and lower CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's the correct way to measure and lower CYA?

I understand the TF-100 CYA test is a bit subjective, but anyone have tips to get reliable results? I, for one, tend to see a faint black dot for quite a while and wonder if I'm going way past and registering low CYA readings as a result. Second, I'm not sure about the protocol for shaking the bottle after the 30sec wait. I give it about 10 vigorous shakes, but wonder if there's a more standard way of doing it.

As regards to lowering CYA, is it correct that it concentrates at the top, so draining the surface water via the skimmer is more effective at lowering CYA levels?

TIA!

25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What's the correct way to measure and lower CYA?

CYA is evenly mixed in all your water...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, we all suffer about the same when measuring the CYA. It takes some getting used to for sure.

The best accuracy for the CYA test is....
    do it outside in natural light
    Turn your back to the sun
    Hold the vial at waist level and despense the solution into the tube.

While you are looking into the test tube, only hold the tube with 1 finger and thumb. Light plays a large role and holding the tube with more fingers blocks out more light. So whatever you do, do it consitently every time.

Dont do it just once... pour the solution from the test tube back into the bottle and repeat the process a few few times. Then take an average.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

perhaps what you were thinking comes from some recommended drain and refill methods, where you have one hose at the top of the pool draining high cya water and another hose at the bottom refilling from the tap at the same time. If your water table puts your pool at risk of floating or shifting when the water pressure is lowered due to a drain, this method will keep the pool full and minimize the mixing of the water to speed up the dilution.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I understand the TF-100 CYA test is a bit subjective, but anyone have tips to get reliable results? I, for one, tend to see a faint black dot for quite a while and wonder if I'm going way past and registering low CYA readings as a result. Second, I'm not sure about the protocol for shaking the bottle after the 30sec wait. I give it about 10 vigorous shakes, but wonder if there's a more standard way of doing it.

As regards to lowering CYA, is it correct that it concentrates at the top, so draining the surface water via the skimmer is more effective at lowering CYA levels?

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CYA is evenly distributed throughout the pools volume. If the pool water were completely stagnant and there was a fairly large difference in temperature from top to bottom, you might see a small concentration change with respect to depth. But, since your pool water is mixing quite a lot and the temperature differences are not that big, you can safely assume the CYA is evenly distributed. Free Chlorine concentration can vary with depth by a noticeable amount because it is strongly affected by UV light, but that's about it.

As for measuring CYA, others have given great advice and I would only add one more thing - try not to shake the tube or tilt it while looking down at it and look down as straight as possible. The curved surface of the water (meniscus) can act like a little lens and make the dot seem to appear and disappear.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the input!

25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter